Monday, December 12, 2011

Fortune Star Buffet Has Closed, And I'm Catching Up On Comments And Emails You Should Read

Fortune Star Buffet in Jessup has closed -- apparently a while ago.  There was talk of a temporary closing in June, but they're still papered over.

Fortune Star was one of the first places that drew many comments on HowChow.  It was a quantity joint.  You can get better Chinese at Red Pearl in Columbia or Grace Garden in Odenton.  But no closing makes Howard County a better place to eat.

Thanks for all the comments.  They're definitely worth something checking out -- for news, for ideas, and for opinions other than some blogger.  Remember that I love guest posts.  All they require is a cell phone photo and a few paragraphs of description (along with a disclosure of any connection that you have to the place).

Here's a collection of recent news, reports, recommendations, and questions -- along with some detailed emails after the jump:
More great comments and emails:
On Saturday, my girlfriend and I were shopping at Feet First Sports in Hickory Ridge Village Center and we happened to stumble upon the new Katana Hibachi Steakhouse. The food was a step above what I normally get at hibachi grills and the service was definitely the best I've had in a long time. (Reminded me of Stanford Grill or when Victoria's first opened.)  It's a bit pricey, except the weekday lunch menu - which looks like a steal.  
Interesting comparison - we were eating at King's Contrivance on Sunday. While the food was great, we were both thinking the shrimp and scallops were cooked much better at Katana. So perhaps that puts some perspective on the price.
  • Dana emailed me so long ago that I'm embarrassed, but her thoughts about Milita's Tacos are just as fresh today.  This is a taco truck at U.S. 1 and Rte 103.  Not one that I have tried, but Dana and her co-workers went over the summer after seeing the lines:
Two friends and I got tacos (al pastor, shrimp, and carne asada) and a chicken quesadilla. The quesadilla was presented to me with sour cream, tomatoes, and lettuce on top, and being the picky eater I am, I asked them to remove it when they placed it in a to-go box (which they did not give it to me in to begin with). I have no idea how they did it, but there was no trace of the extra items on the quesadilla when I opened it at work. 
The quesadilla itself tasted fine, but was a bit bland. I'm a Texas girl and would have preferred for the chicken to have some spice. The tacos were beautiful! Simple corn tortillas with garnishes of cilantro, radish and lime. They also tasted perfectly fine (the al pastor was the best), but I think part of our problem was we love R&R Taqueria so much, all we did the entire time was compare them to the gas station tacos we have loved from day one! 
So, it was fun to try (none of us had ever been to a taco truck!), but we'll be sticking with what we know and love.
  • And finally, Marcia emailed about coffee.  I'm a fan of Sidamo in Fulton.  Marcia suggested Charter Deli for a cup and some breakfast -- plus a plug for local spots:
Charter Deli makes quite a good cup of coffee, at least the cup I had yesterday when
they first opened was very good. I had to drop off my brother-in-law for an early morning
medical procedure so thought I'd get a quick breakfast at Charter Deli. I was their first
customer at 7 am and got a cup from a very fresh pot.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Not watery, not bitter.  I got an excellent egg/cheese/bacon sandwich on rye bread, too. 
Here's another great thing about local businesses. While I was in the deli eating, the owner
was setting up a table with the newspaper & milk. He told me he had a regular customer due in shortly. Sure enough, in comes a woman who sits at the table he's prepared. As soon as she is seated, a hot cup of tea arrives at her table. How cool is that? Let's see McDonald's prepare a table for you before you get there! 

6 comments:

Ken Oh said...

China Legend in Enchanted Forest closed too, not exactly sure when, but it's more recent than Fortune Star ;).

dzoey said...

I've tried the taco truck off the street near Oakland Mills Village Center. It's OK, but you're better off going to R&R or Lilly's or the taco/steak truck off US1 near Rt 32.

LexC said...

I know it is getting late to make reservations for New Years Eve, but I was wondering if you knew of any places that are having pre-fixe menus for that evening?

EastCoastMatt said...

I heard from my in-laws that Kim Bob Na Ra has closed down.

Anonymous said...

Bistro Blanc may have a New Year's Eve menu. Nothing on their web site, but if you google Bistro Blanc New Year's menu some previous years menus will come up.

Brian in EC said...

Iceberry is now Frostberry Frozen Yogurt - not sure if they are open yet.