Thursday, June 9, 2011

Did Fortune Star Buffet Close In Jessup?

A comment on a prior post reminded me that Fortune Star Buffet in Jessup was locked and closed when I passed by over the weekend.

The comment asked whether anyone knows why Fortune Star closed.  I was wondering whether the closing was temporary or permanent when I peered through the glass doors.  I think the side said "Closed Today."  I couldn't see into the dining room to tell if the restaurant was still set up.

Fortune Star ran a large buffet of Chinese and American food.  It was one of the first places that I wrote about in 2008, but I have to admit that I haven't been back in years.

(Update: There is a comment below that says the closing is temporary.)

If you're looking for local Chinese food, check out my Summer 2010 post about Chinese restaurants in Howard County.


kikiverde said...

The past 3-4 times I shopped at MOM's I noticed that it appeared to be closed-- no cars in the lot and no lights on in the building.

jackie230 said...

Rita's is gone too - bummer :(

Melodi said...

I jsut talked to someone there. He said the "kitchen machines kept breaking" so they are closed temporarily while they update their kitchen. He said they should open again in a couple of months. The Rockville location's lease ended and they decided not to renew, so they are gone from there, too.

Sheri said...

I have twice tried to answer this post already - and twice it's been "eaten" by gremtrons. Suffice to say, we'll never eat as Fortune Star again, and I'm not surprised it's closed. I frankly expected to see a Sanitation and Hygiene violation banner across the door. I'm part of a Moms Night Out group that's eaten there every couple of months for years, since right after it opened - but no more.