|Candied fruit at the now-closed Estrellita Market in Elkridge|
Go beyond restaurants to find great places to buy food -- either to cook or to snack right away. Candies, meats, jarred peppers, or that unusual drinks. Start with the organic markets, then work down through ethnic groceries into speciality and liquor stores. You can find great places to buy and start with some guaranteed home runs.
This is just a starting list. Check the right column for links to all the markets. But get out there!
- Roots Market in Clarksville -- start with the Un Mondo chorizo or check out all the posts.
- Mom's Organic Market in Jessup -- snack on Michelle's Granola or check out all the posts.
- David's Natural Market in Columbia -- crunch on Salazon Salted Chocolate or check out all the posts.
- Lily's Mexican Market in Columbia -- go for the Hispanic groceries like Aji Amarillo peppers or check out all the posts.
- Nazar Market in Columbia -- try the Turkish coffee-flavored sparking water, check out the halal butcher, or check out all the posts.
- Caspian Market in Ellicott City -- my absolute favorite Fard pistachio nougat or check out all the posts.
- H Mart in Catonsville -- sample across a continent, starting with Japanese noodles and then checking out all the posts.
- El Patio Market in Jessup -- make your own empanadas with Argentine wrappers, grab a pile of goat milk lollipops, or check out all the posts.
- J.W. Trueth in Oella -- a place that butchers its own cows and can get you all the right cuts.
- Perfect Pour in Elkridge for an enormous display of beers, wines and liquors or i.m. Wine in Fulton for a curated selection at all price points.