Monday, July 3, 2017

This Ice Cream Sandwich Deserves A Food Blog; What Is Coming To Clarksville Commons?

Ice cream sandwich from Scoop and Paddle
I mean, does anyone really need a food blog?

Probably not since the Internet left blogging behind five years ago.  But then folks built a spot in Clarksville where they're trying to offer personalized pizzas, gourmet ice cream, and maybe more, more, more.

And you think: People need to know they can eat well here in Howard County.

Then you think:  How much ice cream can the kid smear across his face while we're sitting on this bench?

But you're a veteran now.  You have handful of napkins, so things will work out okay.

Scoop & Paddle's current cart
Sigh.  Hope that you have had a good 18 months since January 2016.  Mrs. HowChow and I sleep again.  We're learning all about Lego and underwear and what happens when a four-year-old lays down a balance bike on asphalt.

And we're eating.  For summer, we are eating ice cream at the new Clarksville spot where folks are trying to create a food attraction.  Already open at the Clarksville Commons -- You Pizza, which I'll write about soon, and Scoop & Paddle -- the best ice cream that I know made in Howard County.


This is rich, often-changing ice cream that used to be sold in the parking lot at the River Hill Garden Center.  Strong standard flavors like caramel and chocolate.  But the real razzle has been seasonal choices -- fruits in the summer, spice-heavy in the winter like eggnog and gingerbread.  This summer, they've been light on selection.  Lil' Chow now knows not to expect them to have chocolate.  But it's a really nice place to get ice cream and sit out on a bench.

For now, Scoop & Paddle is a stand selling ice cream cups and sandwiches.  Sometimes, they park the red VW bus that operates like an ice cream truck.  But the plans call for a food hall in the space behind where they're selling ice cream now.  Other vendors -- maybe operators with good food to sell, but not enough business to justify a full lease somewhere.  I haven't heard details.  I'd love to know the plans.

HowChow For Life!
Clarksville Commons has posted that Cupcakes & Co. will open July 11.   I also read Joshua Gorden's story last year that the owners of Manor HIll Brewery and Victoria Gastropub were going to open a restaurant called Food Plenty at Clarksville Commons.  There is a Facebook site and a website saying it opens in Fall 2017.  The website talks about outdoor seating on a deck, so it might be over the YouPizza.  There is a really cool ground-floor outdoor fireplace that could also be the focus of fun outside dining.  But I don't know the current details.

It's the not-knowing that gets me blogging again.  Two city newspapers have retreated from Howard County.  I've tried to keep up with new restaurants and food shops, but I don't know where to turn.

Howard County has cool stuff to offer.  Someone has to troll and pimp.

(Update:  One of the Food Plenty owners commented on Facebook that they're aiming to open in October or November. They're actually going on the second floor above You Pizza -- plus curbside pickup on the first floor.)

I'm going to try to restart this hobby blog.  Life overwhelmed me last year, and I stopped posting.  I've been thinking and snapping pictures, and I really want to restart HowChow -- especially because I love hearing from other folks and learning about new places.  Always read the comments.  Awesome folks have been leaving dozens of tips on my only 2016 post.  And please have compassion if this isn't five posts a week.  Things happen.  As I type this, water is dripping through my hallways ceiling, apparently from my air conditioner.  Tough day to get an AC person to visit.

My smart plan was to write a dozen posts before I went public.   I've got a dozen ideas, and there are tons of great new places that opened since 2015.  But I'm going with the "not-so-smart" option.   Write one.  Post it immediately.  Go eat tacos for lunch.  Hope that the fear of embarrassment gets me back to the keyboard soon.

46 comments:

hammockbrain said...

Welcome back. We all have our seasons.

Unknown said...

So good to have you back!!

Elizabeth | Take On E said...

Welcome back! We missed you! :)

sherringham said...

Welcome back, man! We hit up Hot Pot Hero and Kung Fu Tea in EC this weekend and LOVED them both. Id be happy to guest blog, if you're into that.

Zevonista said...

Welcome back!

E. Randolph Marriner said...

At Food Plenty, we have just started our tenant buildot, with the scheduled opening this Oct/Nov. our signs went up last week. As we get a little further along, I'm happy to give you a tour and share our plans. You can contact me directly at randy@victoriarestauranrgroup.com.

Doug S said...

Welcome back! Hopefully knowing you still have readers keeps you writing. :)

EastCoastMatt said...

YES! happy to have this pop up on my blogroll...(who says blogs are irrelevant :-P)

columbialady said...

Welcome back! You have been missed! Life gets in our way sometimes; but, we return. LOL Going to the Turn House this Friday with high hopes and a huge appetite!

Annie Rie said...

Welcome Back!

You have been missed!

Yes, Clarksville Commons hopes to have more food options as they grow.

Love You Pizza and the farmer's market.

Joannie said...

Yay! It's wonderful to have you back, as your busy life permits.

Unknown said...

Welcome! I have to say if you haven't tried Mikes Gelato (Kendall parking lot on sundays) you are missing out. Two scoops of any flavor for $4, the same as 1 scoop from scoop and paddle. And he is hand making all of his amazing flavors as well. AMAZING

Anonymous said...

Just glad you are back.

Anonymous said...

Happy you are back....

HowChow said...

Thanks everyone! Barbara -- I will be at Mikes' next Sunday. Sherringham -- I would love that guest post. Email me text and photos. I want to hear about hot pot because I couldn't tell if Lil' Chow would love it or not.

Morty Abzug said...

Howchow rides again! Welcome back.

RDAdoc said...

Welcome back! You've been missed!

Unknown said...

Yes sir, good to hear you're back in the game ☺

Pillbeam said...

Welcome back! I have missed your personable posts -- not just for the information, which I rely on for dining in howard county -- but also for the cozy, fireside-chat quality of your comments.I also have a 4-year-old, so I can relate to your family focus!

Pillbeam said...

Hi, it's good to see you back. I missed your personable blog -- not only for the information, which I relied on for dining in Howard -- but also for the comments' fireside-chat quality. I also have a 4-year-old, so I can relate to your family focus.

marybeth said...

I've missed your blog! Good to see you back! Welcoming lots of family food tips in the future. All the best to you and your family

Anonymous said...

Gosh, so good to have you posting again!

Rob said...

Yay! Welcome back. I have been checking the site regularly hoping for a new post. Glad to read your stuff again.

laura said...

So happy to have you back! I have always loved reading your blog and never gave up the hope that you'd come back. Best wishes to you and your family! Looking forward to reading how your adventures with Lil' Chow put a spin on your posts! Welcome back, HowChow!

The Unmanly Chef said...

welcome back obi won you were missed

Unknown said...

Hot Pot Hero is awesome but could be challenging for little HowChow because there's a boiling hot pot of stock in the middle of your table. But if he can handle Honey Pig, he should be OK there. The food is excellent and lots of fun!

Unknown said...

I really love reading your posts! I hope you can find the time to continue. I know how hectic life can be. You're right, it's really hard to find anything written about the HoCo food scene.

Matt L. said...

Really glad you've decided to write again. This blog is a gem.

Leeann said...

Glad to have you back! Isn't it amazing how a miniature person can absolutely kick adults' asses? ;)

Sheri said...

Was commiserating with a friend only last week how much I missed this blog - so glad to see you pop up on my FB feed!! Blogs seem to have had a resurgence in the past year. They're definitely still relevant, and easily monetized. Check out patreon.com as a source of income for creators, well.

John J. said...

Welcome back- you can look at the 100 plus post of your fans trying to keep info on HoCo restaurants flowing but it wasn't the same without YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Trust me, you were greatly missed during your sabbatical!

One item to keep an eye on is the new Texas Roadhouse off of Snowden River Pkwy. A chain, yes, but worth a visit. And it will be nice not to have to shlep to Pasadena or Hunt Valley. Supposed to open this month -?

Amy Petrik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lib's Grill is going to open where the Maple Lawn Grill was across from Ranazul.

https://www.bisnow.com/baltimore/news/retail/liberatores-to-maple-lawn-two-marriott-residence-inns-on-the-way-makeover-for-normandy-shopping-center-and-73988

Sheila in MD said...

So happy to have you back! I have checked in several times hoping to see new posts!

Katie said...

Welcome back HowChow!!! I would highly recommend checking out
Mike's Gelato. It is a gelato truck that is in various locations throughout the county.

Anonymous said...

Missed your blog! Looking forward to reading your posts on all of the new eats in HoCo. Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK!!!

bclass7 said...

Good to have you back!!!

Monica said...

Texas Roadhouse will be at 8820 Stanford Boulevard in Columbia. Next to Apple Ford, near Nottingham's. Texas Roadhouse's website says it will open in September.

Unknown said...

Great to see you posting again!!! :-)

Dianne said...

YES!!!! Thanks for reviving this blog! We all understood why you stopped posting but damn man......so nice to see you back!!

Bluelilmunkie said...

Hooray! You're back!!

DevinE said...

Pleasantly surprised to see that you're back! I've always enjoyed your reviews.

Dream Rolls Ice said...

Good to see this helpful information here, Thanks a lot for sharing it with us....

Thai ice cream in Garland
Thai ice cream in Frisco

John Kalthle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.