Monday, December 26, 2011

Why Don't Restaurants Make Cafe Con Leche?

Cafe con leche at the Miami airport
Why don't restaurants offer cafe con leche when they serve breakfast or dessert?

I lived in Miami during the years when Starbucks absorbed America.  So I learned to drink Cuban coffee before I ever met a barista.  The regular stuff is sweet jet fuel like espresso.  For a little more, you get the coffee mixed with warm mix as a cafe con leche.

This is a great stuff.  You can charge a fortune for coffee these days.  I was sitting this month in the Miami airport asking myself why I can't get cafe con leche generally around here.  And while we're at it, why don't a few restaurants offer Vietnamese style coffee with condensed milk and those cool "on the table" brewing filters?

Forget restaurants.  Why not one of the new bakeries popping up like Linda's or Cook n' Cakes? Easy way to create a unique spot.

I know I can get Vietnamese coffe at An Loi in Columbia and get my cafe con leche fix at Cuba de Ayer in Burtonsville.  But it seems like most restaurants already have the equipment -- or could get some Vietnamese filters for a few bucks -- and could offer something unique.

(Update: See the post from Southern Skies Coffee Roasters about Cuban coffee.)

3 comments:

Josh K said...

Pho Dat Thanh also has Vietnamese coffee. Plus, what I consider to be one of the best meals in HoCo.

Hollis Burl said...

I love the Cuban coffee in South Beach and lament its absence in this area. What I wouldn't give for a plate of Perico and a Cafe con Leche from Puerto Sagua right about now.

Anonymous said...

Cafe con leche? Try Cuba d'Ayer in Burtonsville.