- Mango Grove / Mirchi Wok is renovating space off Dobbin Road in the same Columbia shopping center with Pub Dog and Noodles Corner. Its former spot at Dobbin and Rte 175 was demolished to make way for a drive-in Starbucks. Last month, I ran into the Mango Grove owner, who said he was hoping to open by Christmas.
- YogiCup is another tart frozen yogurt shop to the Columbia landscape. It's the same shopping center as Mango Grove. A comment this weekend says they're aiming to open in December.
- Nari Sushi is coming to the Kings Contrivance village center in Columbia. Last time I walked past, they looked close. (Update: See the comments that Nari is open.)
- Linda's Bakery in Columbia and Cooks N' Cakes in Ellicott City were both looking to open this fall, but their Web sites suggest that the timers are still counting down. They're both sweet bakeries -- cakes, cupcakes, etc. Linda's is working on space next to House of India on Snowden River Parkway, and Cooks N' Cakes is filling the Rte 40 spot vacated by The Breadery.
- A new joint La Mia opened in downtown Laurel serving pizza and subs along with schwarma and falafel. I had a falafel sandwich there yesterday and can't stop trying to adjust my Sunday chores to justify a return trip for the schwarma, which was still cooking on its spit when I hustled through.
- Another hybrid -- this time pizza and Indian food -- has opened in the Long Reach village center in Columbia, reports Diane Z. She emailed me the menu. The place appears to be called Long Reach. Diane gives a thumbs up to the chicken tikka masala.
- Wegmans has announced that the Columbia store will open June 17, 2012. The company has opened an employment center for people who want to apply for a job. But there is a comment on the I Want The Columbia Md. Wegmans Facebook page that says the storefront may not open until January 3.
And, of course, there is the report -- still not officially confirmed or denied -- that Whole Foods is negotiating to open its first Howard County store in the former Rouse Company headquarters. That would put them right on the lake across from the mall.
Anyone know anything else that is new or coming soon? (Update: See the comments below for more news.)