Sunday, December 4, 2011

Update: What's Coming To Howard County

To me, it feels like the drumbeat of new restaurants and bakeries has picked up in the past six weeks.  People often leave comments here, and I try to track them.  Here are a few reasons to keep your appetite up:
  • Mango Grove / Mirchi Wok is renovating space off Dobbin Road in the same Columbia shopping center with Pub Dog and Noodles Corner.  Its former spot at Dobbin and Rte 175 was demolished to make way for a drive-in Starbucks.  Last month, I ran into the Mango Grove owner, who said he was hoping to open by Christmas.
  • YogiCup is another tart frozen yogurt shop to the Columbia landscape.  It's the same shopping center as Mango Grove.  A comment this weekend says they're aiming to open in December.
  • Nari Sushi is coming to the Kings Contrivance village center in Columbia.  Last time I walked past, they looked close.  (Update:  See the comments that Nari is open.)
  • Linda's Bakery in Columbia and Cooks N' Cakes in Ellicott City were both looking to open this fall, but their Web sites suggest that the timers are still counting down.  They're both sweet bakeries -- cakes, cupcakes, etc.  Linda's is working on space next to House of India on Snowden River Parkway, and Cooks N' Cakes is filling the Rte 40 spot vacated by The Breadery.
  • A new joint La Mia opened in downtown Laurel serving pizza and subs along with schwarma and falafel.  I had a falafel sandwich there yesterday and can't stop trying to adjust my Sunday chores to justify a return trip for the schwarma, which was still cooking on its spit when I hustled through.
  • Another hybrid -- this time pizza and Indian food -- has opened in the Long Reach village center in Columbia, reports Diane Z.  She emailed me the menu.  The place appears to be called Long Reach.  Diane gives a thumbs up to the chicken tikka masala.
  • Wegmans has announced that the Columbia store will open June 17, 2012.  The company has opened an employment center for people who want to apply for a job.  But there is a comment on the I Want The Columbia Md. Wegmans Facebook page that says the storefront may not open until January 3.
And, of course, there is the report -- still not officially confirmed or denied -- that Whole Foods is negotiating to open its first Howard County store in the former Rouse Company headquarters.  That would put them right on the lake across from the mall.

Anyone know anything else that is new or coming soon?  (Update: See the comments below for more news.)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear that Mango Grove will be back soon. I am also excited about any new frozen yogurt place - I just went into the Tutti Frutti (next to the Burger Joint)the other day - I love their taro flavor!

Mr. Cheap Eats said...

Glad for the Wegmans opening. The one in Landover has been an overall disappointment

Greg Chiasson said...

I was actually at King's Contrivance last night, for Corner Stable, and Nari was open. Neon sign in the window and everything.

Junior Barnes said...

About a month ago when I went to Gateway Plaza ( Penang Star & Flavors of India), there was a sign announcing a Mediterranean restaurant was opening there. Anyone have any updates?

Andy said...

Nari opened a couple of weeks ago-- I ate there the day after they opened and again with my wife last weekend. Big portions, good/decent food (I'm not a critic so it's hard for me to judge exactly). They have dishes from across East Asia, and give a cup of a cold cinnamon tea with the check.

Brendela said...

It looks like something might be moving into where Orrinoco Coffee was (near The Greene Turtle and Jason's Deli). I saw lights on and workers inside on Friday evening as I was leaving Cheeburger Cheeburger. Any idea what it could be?

Anonymous said...

Nora's Kabob Mediterranean grill Opening 1st February 2012 in Ellicott City.

Sandra said...

Just found this blog, and wow, love, love, love it. Is there a way to subscribe such that new entries pop into my Inbox? So many great places to add to my Must Do List, I don't want to miss a single one.

HowChow said...

Thanks to everyone for the updates. The new places sound good.

@Junior Barnes -- What is Penang Star? Thai? What do you think? I don't think that I knew it was there.

@Sandra -- Glad that you found me. I generally put a link to each post on the HowChow Facebook page. Or you can sign up for Google Reader.

Melodi said...

To Brendela: ChaYa is expanding their panasian restaurant into the old Orinoco Coffee space.

Anonymous said...

@HowChow - Penang Star used to be called "Shanghai and Tokyo." It;s a family-rin diner that now has Malaysian food as well as Chinese and Japanese. . I went there once to try to try the Malaysian food. It was pretty good, but for other reasons I haven't been back. I'll have to put in on my list. :)

JB

P90 Noir said...

I haven't had a full meal at Nari yet, but I grabbed a spicy tuna roll to go a few weeks ago (just to check the quality). ;-)

The spicy tuna was great. Fresh tasting, spicier than most. A few of their fancy rolls sound amazing and they have a great $10 lunch special.

Anonymous said...

Sushi Nari opened November 4. I ate there a few days later and definitely recommend it. I am a little concerned as it has not been very busy when the several times checked in the window. Hopefully, it will do well.

LexC said...

Nari is open (although there aren't operating hours on Sunday). We were there last week, the service was great! The food was excellent, and the prices resonable. My concern is that we were the only ones there. Their location is notoriously difficult to keep a restaurant open...I think this might be the 4th restaurant in at least 7 years there. Try it out! Keep talking it up. I love having so many choices in my village center, and the staff seems so nice, I'd hate to see it not stick around.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what is being built on Dobbin road next to the walmart, McDonalds, wendys, chic fila area?

Also what is taking over Rocky Run Tap & Grill? I haven't seen anything.. I heard it was buffalo wild wings till it moved to arundel mills

kam said...

December 5th Anonymous:

Drive-through Starbucks; they're moving the Starbucks currently across the street over to there.

Don't know what's going on with Rocky Run; the last I heard was Buffalo Wild Wings as well, so it's been a while.

~kam

Dianne said...

Yes, it's called Long Reach Pizza, Indian Food & More. They are in the same location where Dominos used to be. I wish them well. In fact, I think I'm getting take out again tomorrow night!

Junior Barnes said...

To answer my own question, the new place is called Rudy's Mediterranean Grill and the web site (including menu) can be found at www.rmgrill.com. The site says it is opening soon, but when I drove by it tonight it looked like it might already be open.

JB

Brian in EC said...

Just noticed another (new I think) frozen yogurt shop in Ellicott City. It's called Frostberry, located in the St. Johns Plaza on westbound Rt 40 near St. Johns lane. It's right across Rt 40 from Tutti Frutti. So we now have a trifecta of yogurt shops on 'the pike' with the two aforementioned places and Yogi Castle a bit further west near Bethany Lane.

Columbia scientist/foodie said...

Nari Sushi is a great new Japanese restaurant in King's Contrivance. We have been 3 times in the last 5 weeks. In addition to sushi that is good as any I have had within a 20 mile radius, it has a variety of other Japanese food- udon and soba noodle soups, seaweed and other salads, etc. The people are also very friendly. Lunch special is a great bargain.

Steve Fine said...

I just want to second Columbia Foodie's recommendation of Nari.