Monday, December 5, 2011

Candy Cane Joe-Joes At Trader Joe's

Better than Oreos.

There, I've said it.  I will start with the heresy.  Trader Joe's has created a sandwich cookies for Christmas that isn't just a good knock-off.  It's better than the original.

Not that you should go to the Columbia Trader Joe's and buy the Candy Cane Joe-Joes.  Mrs. HowChow wants you to leave them alone so that there are more for her to buy and sock away for winter.

The Peppermint Joe-Joes are absolutely terrific.  Crisp chocolate cookies with a cream inside.  Except this filling is more creamy, less grainy that even the Oreo original.  Plus, it is laced with shards of peppermint candy.  This is a "sealed box" type of cookies -- as in "you need to keep the box closed or you'll eat them all."

Trader Joe's sells a separate product where they have dipped the Candy Cane Joe-Joes in chocolate.  That's great too.  It's good chocolate and the right ratio of coating to cookies.  But it is an extra that isn't worth getting only 10 cookies in a box.  The original Joe-Joes -- or at least the original knock-off of the Oreo -- is all you need.

10 comments:

Marcia said...

We love their snowman shaped shortbread cookies. I like to save a box for later in the winter, we really appreciate their goodness after we've taken a break from all the rich holiday foods.

But, like Mrs. Howchow, not saying you should buy them. More for us!!

RDAdoc said...

Mrs HowChow brought then to the RDA household last year and I agree they are delicious & I am not even a big cookie fan. Mrs. HowChow has excellent taste. I better rush out to get them before she depletes TJ's supply :)

P90 Noir said...

I don't know, I prefer the chocolate dipped candy cane Jo-Jos.

Even better, making chocolate chip cookies with crushed candy cane JoJos.

Vicky said...

I'll have to try that! Another one of my winter favorites at Trader Joe's is the cranberry Stilton - it's great with crackers as an appetizer for holiday parties.

Dianne said...

Whatever you do, DONT try the box of 'astounding multi-flavor Joe-Joes".

Four varieties including Double Chocolate, Peppermint, Peanut Butter, and Ginger with White Chocolate.

MORE FOR ME!! :)

HowChow said...

These all sounds great, and substituting crushed Joe-Joes for chocolate chips sounds inspired!

Marcia said...

I just got back from my annual Christmas trip to TJ's. Thanks for the recommendations everyone....uh...no..I bought NONE of these things. Plenty for you (GRIN).

Barbi said...

Love, love, love them! Did you by chance get the Halloween joe-joes? Wonderful!

HowChow said...

@Barbi -- What were the Halloween Joe-Joes? We thought this was a Christmas special. If there are cookies every season, this could be a problem.

Min E. said...

I was eating my new found favorite the Candy Cane Joe-Joe's and thought I'd do a search on this great invention. And Google directed me to your post. LOL!
Absolutely love this cookie. Will go back to stock up more.