Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bon Appetit Bakery Opens in Ellicott City

The Bon Appetit bakery has opened on Rte 40 in Ellicott City after six months of waiting. The early reports sound like a mix of Asian and American pastries, and Treetop Tom sent in this report this morning:
I went to the long-awaited grand opening of Bon Appetit in Ellicott City yesterday and was very impressed. I got a sampling of various donuts, breads and cakes. The two stand-outs were the Soporo Bread (like a small coffee cake about the size of your palm) and the red bean donut (not sickeningly sweet like many others I've tried.) The baked goods are individually portioned and wrapped and run the whole gamut from the common (pound cake) to the exotic (green bean buns.) Nice selection, more diverse than the offerings at some of the other Asian bakeries around. Another fun touch - with every purchase on opening day you got to pick a fortune cookie that revealed another free goodie. The cafe side of the business was empty and dark - not sure if it was open yet or not and I didn't see any menus. The display cases had gorgeous cakes, tortes and gateauxs. Between this new bakery and Kolache Creations (which I still need to visit) at the old consignment shop at Kiwanis-Wallis ballfields it looks like my days of griping about the lack of quality local bakeries here in in my corner of EC may be over.
I love red bean donuts. In fact, I love all red bean desserts. I need to check out Bon Appetit on my next run on Rte 40. If you're looking for other bakeries, check out my 2009 post aboutbakeries in Howard County, which lists several other Korean bakeries in Ellicott City.
Thanks to Eric and everyone else who sent emails or left comments about the opening. Please add reports below and feel free to email me a photo.

Bon Appetit Bakery & Cafe
10155 Baltimore National Pike
Ellicott City, MD 21042-3669
(410) 203-2071

NEAR: The bakery is on Rte 40 near the intersection with Bethany Lane.  This is west of Rte 29.

5 comments:

K8teebug said...

YAY! I pass this every morning on my way to work! Very exciting!

Laura said...

I just tried Bon Appetit this morning - absolutely lovely! Treetop Tom really has a nice description of it here. I was really impressed with all they had to offer. Plenty of free samples today AND they are still offering the fortune cookie prizes! I was lucky enough to open one that said Soprero and received a loaf of it for free! My daughter and I have been munching on their cheese filled breakfast rolls this afternoon-very yummy and obviously not just for breakfast! All of the ladies working there we very nice and willing to answer the gazillion questions I had about the various offerings. They told me they make absolutely everything right there...starting at 2:00 a.m. each day!! The cafe area is a decent size - looking forward to going back for some coffee/tea with friends and trying out some more of their stuff...their cakes look gorgeous!

Laura said...

Oops...I think I wrote the name of that bread wrong - should be Soboro. It's a s. korean streusel bread - mine is plain but she told me the top has a peanut powder on it.

Anonymous said...

I visited Bon Appetit this morning. I sampled at least 15 items, and they were all delicious. They still have the fortune cookies, and I was happy to receive the soboro bread as well. I will definitely go back!

Anonymous said...

I went there today and it is absolutely amazing! Everything I tried, the pizza baguette, the croquettes, the grilled cheese sandwich thingy (I don't know what it's really called, but boy is it good!), the little rice donut holes, were all fantastic! I can't wait to go back to try more!