Thursday, September 16, 2010

The "Woodberry Kitchen Problem," Or How Do Our Best Restaurants Compete Across Two Cities?



This is what I will call "The Woodberry Kitchen" problem.

People think that I eat out way more than I actually do.  The key to a hobby like writing daily about food is to write short and to make sure that you see posts in the basic food that you enjoy.

The truth is that Mrs. HowChow and I eat from restaurants a few times a month around Howard County.  Often, it is a weeknight.  Or it's a point when we just want to relax.  We eat broadly, but we tend to eat in the middle ground -- casual places that serve dinner for two for $20-40.  We grab burgers at Victoria.  We go for Korean barbecue.  We get sushi at either The Sono or The King.

But there is an upper limit.  We'll spend $50 for our favorites -- or to get some extras at House of India that will become two lunches.  But we often leave Howard County for special meals.  There are nights when we're going to spend more money or when I'm making reservations for someone's birthday, and the truth is that I keep going back to Woodberry Kitchen.

Now, I'm the perfect customer for Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore.  I love the fresh ingredients, minimal cooking, and small plates.  In July, we had a meal where we didn't pick a dish that had been cooked.  Pickled eggs, a raw peach dessert.  Three of the courses were just perfect produce, sliced and served with spices or vinegar.  We spent less than a night at Sushi Sono and left as happy as I have ever been in a restaurant.

But it makes me wonder how high-end restaurants compete in Howard County?  

I can list restaurants in Howard County with high expectations: Portalli's, Bistro Blanc, Venegas Prime Filet, Aida Bistro, Cafe de Paris, Tersiguels. . . .  But as I consider my "best restaurants" list for 2010, I have only eaten at half of these places.  

Obviously, some  people expect to spend $50-75 for two on a weeknight, but that seems more common in Bethesda than in Kings Contrivance.  When people like me schedule a special night, we're fine with driving into the city -- in fact into either city -- so Howard County high-end is competing with local, cheaper options and with the high-end places as far as 45 minutes away.

What Howard County restaurants are worth the extra money?  What do you order for your special nights?  Or, if you run one of these restaurants, what do you think people should know about your place?  The risk of high prices is that people have high expectations.  So how do you entice people to try you out and leave satisfied?
   


15 comments:

Courtney said...

The only place in HC that we spend a lot of money for dinner is the Melting Pot. It is our 'good luck' charm. We always go before and after my husband deploys for an extended period of time. The reason we are willing to pay so much is because its a unique experience, a long and romantic dinner and they usually throw in something extra when they learn why we're there. Otherwise, we head into Baltimore to Sammy's Tratoria or try a new place in Baltimore or Annapolis.
In my opinion, most of the better restaurants in HC are the less expensive ones.

Jen Blacker said...

We just haven't been out to an expensive place since Jordan's closed down. It was perfect for us to celebrate anniversaries. Once it closed it took the heart out of wanting to go someplace high end. Nothing seems to compare to how comfy and relaxing it was to dine there combined with how excellent the food was. Our last anniversary I just cooked at home a special meal.

Jen said...

We went to Venegas for a special occasion. The steak was excellent, but the wine markup was absurd. It was a tough check to swallow. We recently went to Sullivan's Steakhouse in Baltimore. Wine markup was reasonable, prix fix was a great deal, and I didn't miss Venegas one bit (the atmosphere was just as cozy).

Anonymous said...

We love going to Bistro Blanc. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is great as well.

Suzy said...

Aida Bistro, in my opinion, out performs any restaurant in the Baltimore-D.C. area. No need to go into either city when you are looking for a special meal, great wine, and excellent service. When Joe opens at the new location, I think it will be unnecessary to travel outside of Howard County for any occasion!!

Anonymous said...

When we have a few extra dollars to spend we always end up at Victoria for that special meal. They always have some incredible dishes on the menu. Make sure Joe is cooking in the kitchen and you can't go wrong. They also have a great brunch and an excellent draft beer selection. We love this place.

Ryan said...

My wife and I haven't been impressed with Woodberry Kitchen. I think the kicker was a polenta based meal that I'm pretty sure was just rice and no polenta. For our money we've always enjoyed a foray a mile east to Dogwood, now that it's reopened. Not that either are in Howard County!

Angie said...

If we are going for special we actually stay in HoCo! Iron Bridge is one of our favorites as is Elkridge Furnace Inn. We have a long history with both, as the Furnace Inn was where we had our wedding reception 15 years ago and at that time it was run by Steve Wecker, who now owns Iron Bridge with his other brother Rob. Dan Wecker stayed on at Elkridge and is the head Chef and owner. Both places offer smaller portions of unique and high quality food. I've never had a bad meal or poor service at either. I also love the fact that being that they are both in HoCo we continue to support our locals!

greyselke said...

So far, my husband and I, having moved this past year from Baltimore into Columbia, have thoroughly enjoyed a birthday dinner at Iron Bridge Wine company and an anniversary dinner at the Rumor Mill. Loved both. I'd also highly recommend the Rumor Mill for anytime one wants to do a special Sunday brunch.

Kristi said...

My husband and I used to frequent Greystone Grill almost monthly. They had great crab cakes and their dishes were fresh and delicious. However, lately, the service has been sub par and the quality of the food has gone down. I'm hoping to visit them again soon to see if they've improved.
We also choose the Melting Pot for special occasions. We've searched for other high end restaurants in HC, but have yet to find a good one.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the "market menu" meal plus other small plates with a companion at Rumor Mill in Ellicott City.

One reason not to drive to Baltimore or DC often is if you need a sitter. Or you may be trading with someone and need to get back before a kids' bedtime. Lots of driving time doesn't leave much time for a relaxed meal.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I love going to The Kings Contrivance for our anniversary. The food there is so good!

Alys said...

Kings Contrivance is a favorite for a nice dining experience. The service is always stellar and the prices reasonable for very good food. The kitchen is very accommodating to special requests and there are plenty of options for the spectrum of meat eaters through vegans. All this and in a lovely setting with complimentary valet parking on busy days.

Morty Abzug said...

The question assumes that high-end Howard County restaurants cannot compete with the high-end urban restaurants. If you haven't eaten at half of the HoCo high-end restaurants, why make this assumption?

HowChow said...

@Morty -- The question doesn't assume the restaurants aren't as good. I'm asking how they compete. They compete every time that someone thinks, "Should my big night be going to Bistro Blanc or driving into the city?" or "Should tonight be Bistro Blanc or a simpler meal at House of India?"

I'm asking how high-end restaurants do compete -- which ones are worth the money, what people eat at the places that they like.

I don't think there is an assumption in the post that Howard County places aren't as good. That assumption certainly exists in my dining -- because I have gone to Woodberry Kitchen over the local places. But that's just me weighing my experience at the places that I have been with things that my friends tell me about places that I haven't, and I say that my high-end dinner are few and far between.