Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Trolling: Breakfast At Frank's, Gyros At Hickory Ridge, And The Orange Fluff At Meadows

Today's Trolling takes you across the county from Jessup to southern Columbia.  Dennis writes about his weekly breakfast at Frank's Diner, then talks up two of the joints in the Hickory Ridge village center in Columbia.  That center -- just north of Rte 32 on Cedar Lane -- has become a magnet for casual dining with Chick'n Pollo for Peruvian chicken, Luna Bella for pizza, and Maruha Steakhouse and Sushi for Japanese -- plus Dennis' two favorites:

Every Saturday morning my daughter and I go to Frank's Diner in Jessup on U.S. 1 just south of Rte 175. This is rare find for the area - an authentic New Jersey diner transported to MD! The menu is fairly standard diner offerings. Great breakfast offerings (even goes deep to have local favorites like Scrapple). Of note is the kids/seniors breakfast - one egg, one pancake and side of bacon or sausage for only $4.99. The best thing though is the staff - Mr. & Mrs. Frank are friendly and inviting, always taking time to talk to my daughter about school, her placement drawings, etc. The wait staff is also very friendly, we feel right at home!
Columbia can be a tough location for non-chain dining. One great find that overcomes that issue is the Hickory Ridge Grill. Great Greek selection (the gyro is my favorite) and their kids spaghetti is a 'real' meal - penne pasta with red sauce and ginormous meatball. The staff is extremely friendly, usually have two or three people stop by our table to see how our meal is going.
Throughout the summer the family and I frequent and seek out new ice cream joints. We've tried all in the area and have found the best to be The Meadows Custard in Columbia. My favorite item is the Orange Fluff.  Its the perfect blend of orange, vanilla and creaminess of a nice shake. Typically my daughter wants to trade her choice with mine! Also, their blue raspberry ice is fantastic. Best blue raspberry flavor I've found. That is my two year old son's favorite item, he never hesitates to order it.

Trolling on Tuesday is my attempt at a series where readers would share three things with other HowChow readers -- favorite restaurant dishes, food to buy, food experiences, etc.  Click here for all the Trolling posts.  Click here for the explanation and the rules.  Anyone can submit.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Frank's really is good-- I don't get there often enough.

Leeann said...

I'll have to check out Frank's. Forest Diner has a breakfast for $4.99 that is two eggs, breakfast meat, potatoes or grits, two pieces of toast and coffee. I enjoy that!

I've never heard of Meadow's so that will definitely be on my short list to take the kids. Sounds scrumptious!

Rob said...

I've been to the Meadows in PA. They are famous in the Johnstown area. The best soft ice cream I have ever had. Have not made it to Hickory Ridge yet.

Laura said...

Very nice Dennis! We love Hickory Ridge Grill (the owners always take time to chat and are so nice) and Meadows as well. So thrilled to have them close enough for an enjoyable bike ride with the kids! Haven't been to Franks in years - will have to check it out again sometime soon though. BTW-those are some darned cute kids there!! ;-)

AkikoGurrl said...

Love, love Frank's! Staff there are always sweet and honest. We go there on random Sundays to get dinner but we always order breakfast and always take a slice of their cakes to go. The cakes are on the counter and they are quite huge. I don't have a favorite but I like them all!

Dianne said...

Frank's is a hidden treasure. Used to go there lots on the weekends for breakfast and it was really bustling! Lately, I seem to hit this place on the 'off hour's when it's too late for breakfast or too early for dinner somewhere else. But my guy knows where we are going when I head east on Route 175! Their pancakes are the bomb.

Unknown said...

I live right near Hickory Ridge Village and I love Meadows! Hickory Grill is good too and it is tradition to cut down a tree right after Thanksgiving and go to Hick Grill for lunch.

little audrey said...

Frank's rules when it comes to white starchy carbs - pancakes, biscuits, waffles are all melt-in-your-mouth and lighter-than-air. I remember stumbling upon them right after they opened while I was running an errand from work, and my husband and I kept it a secret for the longest time, back when hardly anyone around Columbia served breakfast. We loved breezing past the crowds at Bob Evans and getting seated right away at Franks!

Kristi said...

We've been looking for a good breakfast place and will definitely be checking out Frank's! Thanks!

Brandon Miller - Milhouse44 said...

Always good food at good prices at Franks Diner. My daughters and I go about once a month on Saturdays to let my wife sleep in. My daughters love to flip through the Juke Box in the booths.
I highly recommend the Cream Chipped Beef

Anonymous said...

Frank's now has all senior dinners for $5 thats (five bucks) from 3pm-6pm 7 days a week. Anyone can order the dinner. Entrees include: grilled or breaded pork chop, grilled or breaded boneless chix breast, meatloaf, ham steak, broiled or fried tilapia, roast turkey, 1/4 white chicken, 1/4 dark chicken, and crisp fried cod dinners. All dinner come with a starch, vegetable, side salad, and bread. Check it out. Sure does beat the $1 menus...........and real down homemade food to boot from people who care.........