Sunday, August 24, 2014

Comments About Whole Foods, Ananda, New Italian On Rte 40 And Breakfast Suggestions

The crab appetizer at Ananda
It has been a big week for Howard County food.  Just a new Whole Foods would be a banner event, and people have been comments about that grocery and a bunch of other news.

Andrew Mak, StevenC, Bren and others wrote detailed reports on the opening days.  I would love hear little things that people have found.  My main purchase was a rockfish that I did roast successfully.  I made a few other finds that I'll pepper in posts.  There should be many, many trips of fun eating.

Checking on other new joints, The Minx, SHZ, and several other people wrote their first thoughts about Ananda.  I'm a huge fan of the new restaurant in Fulton, and I love Todd Kliman's description as an fusion between Indian and a local-learning bistro.  In my original post, I forgot to highlight the crab appetizer, which is small cakes that hold their own against any others that I ate this summer.

Adam reports that a Squisito will also open next to Soft Stuff in the new construction on Rte 40.  It's apparently an Italian restaurant from Anne Arundel.

My rockfish
And there is more!  People are nice enough to share opinions about all kinds of places, including these below:

9 comments:

Alicyn said...

Columbia Ale House is opening a location in Anne Arundel co

The Unmanly Chef said...

Tried Ernestos food was great and affordable. But seemed understaffed, service was slow

Anonymous said...

Have had great experiences with Whole Foods so far. I went in Friday, Saturday, and Sunday each day for a different special (rotisserie chicken, snow crab legs, and ribeyes) and picked up some different things along the way. The chicken was pretty good (better than Wegmans) and my boyfriend raved about the crab legs (I don't eat crab, but it is one of his favorites); going to try the ribeye tomorrow. Cupcakes, cookies, and bread from the bakery were delicious. Seafood salad from the food bar was delicious (and at $8.99/lb I believe this is comparable to Wegmans - and I don't like Wegmans food bar all that much). As a bonus I was able to find the cotton candy grapes that I had been waiting for Wegmans to get in! Very excited to have this store only 5 minutes away (though my credit card statement will likely reflect).

EastCoastMatt said...

was just at kimko for their hwe dup bop yesterday.... not sure what happened, but it wasn't as good as it has been in the past.... I'll have to try Hansung next...

thanks.

EastCoastMatt said...

oh, and was at wholefoods, and got some of their snow crab legs... it was pretty good except one of the clusters was way oversalted... i guess that's just regular random variation...

it was 8 bucks a pound on saturday when i went...but signs said one day only.....



i also got a pizza in their food court.... their grandma slice was MASSIVE. definitely a good value, though they could've heated it a bit longer... i'll have to ask that next time. the seating area is really nice, especially by the window overlooking the lake...

Anonymous said...

Update: ribeyes from Whole Foods were very disappointing - tough, not well marbled, and overall not good quality at all. I'll stick to Boarman's for all my steak needs!

Clayton Koonce said...

I had dinner at Pisco last Saturday night, and it is wonderful. They are still waiting for their liquor license, but even after they get it I'll probably continue to enjoy the non-alcoholic purple corn drink -- chicha morada. It also has lime juice and other ingredients (I detected a taste like Angostura bitters, but I'm seeing various recipes for the same drink on the internet.) The meal was excellent,too, but I wish I could remember the names of everything I had. Entrée was a nice stir-fry steak kind of a dish. A modish décor and ambience also make Pisco very special. Planning to return with friends.

Katie said...

No idea what's going on with the negative comments on softstuff. I've been there three times since they reopened, and every cone has been great. Went with friends and theirs were good too- one friend had the chocolate yogurt and liked that.
There's no soft serve in the area that compares.

Ms Howard said...

Agree that SoftStuff is back with a bang. I wish they would clarify how they want the waiting line to work, but it's three for three for me. Don't know what the negatives are all about.