|The crab appetizer at Ananda|
Andrew Mak, StevenC, Bren and others wrote detailed reports on the opening days. I would love hear little things that people have found. My main purchase was a rockfish that I did roast successfully. I made a few other finds that I'll pepper in posts. There should be many, many trips of fun eating.
Checking on other new joints, The Minx, SHZ, and several other people wrote their first thoughts about Ananda. I'm a huge fan of the new restaurant in Fulton, and I love Todd Kliman's description as an fusion between Indian and a local-learning bistro. In my original post, I forgot to highlight the crab appetizer, which is small cakes that hold their own against any others that I ate this summer.
Adam reports that a Squisito will also open next to Soft Stuff in the new construction on Rte 40. It's apparently an Italian restaurant from Anne Arundel.
- A bunch of folks added to my post about Touche Touchet's beakfast croissants with talk of breakfast, which I have to admit isn't something that I eat in restaurants that often. Clayton highlighted brunch at the White Oak in Ellicott City and a generous breakfast at Rudy's Mediterranean in Columbia, which he said has expanded. There are another half dozen good ideas.
- Cengiz then reported about the food at Rudy's. He says the donor done authenticly, but not his favorite.
- Wendi and Anonymous suggested other places for hware dup bop. I want to get back to Kimko on Rte 40 to try their version. My last visit was all-you-can-eat sushi.
- A bunch of anonymous folks suggested items at the new Pisco in Elkridge -- including a purple corn drink that sounds right up my alley.
- Lynn Mann did not like the tamales at R&R Taqueria. They had been a takeout success for me, but the batches may not be consistent.
- Trip Klaus, The Unmanly Chef and Jojo all chimed in on Seasons 52, one of the new restaurants in the Columbia Mall. Trip Klaus highlighted a lunch special if you want wine and flatbreads.
- Trip Klaus also talks up the peppadew peppers at Roots Market. These are a special South African pepper that I want to try.
- I can't get a feel for the return of Soft Stuff. Comments go from positive to negative. We haven't had a chance to visit.
- Frisco's Tap Room is opening a second location in Crofton, report Anonymous and Trip Klaus. Anyone know the timeline?
- And I'm late, but you should check out the Table 2 Table series from Howard County Community College. The July episode highlighted the local restaurants week, with talk and then a recipe from restaurants like Robert Gadsby of Gadsby Bar American and Dan Wecke of the Elkridge Furnace Inn. Watch for the great nugget where Wecke explains why we all eat carrots that are orange. Check out the HCC feed for prior Table 2 Table editions that highlighted specific restaurants.