Saturday, August 2, 2014

Soft Stuff Did Soft Open Friday; Old-Time Ellicott City Taste In A New Location For Summer

Cool mint cone at the re-opened Soft Stuff
The Soft Stuff ice cream parlor did reopen Friday night -- a soft open because that's the only kind that they could have, noted Strobist.

This is ice cream in a new building constructed across from the Enchanted Forest shopping center on Rte 40 in Ellicott City.

For decades, it was counter service from a white building overlooking the road.  Now, the owners have redeveloped that land and the accompanying motel.  Soft Stuff is one of the new tenants.  The Two Dudes posted a pre-opening tour on their blog, and Adam hit the store with the ice cream fan in his life for the photo above and the report below:
Well, here's a shot of the "cool mint' cone  bought my mom and she loved.  (She used to go here almost everyday.)  I wasn't in a huge ice cream mode so I only sampled a few flavors, but the mint was definitely very thick with a rich and creamy mouthfeel. It's most definetly a step above regular soft serve...s eemed more custard in terms of the milkfat content (and prices).  One of these days when I work up a sweat I'll have to stop by for a shake.  About a dozen flavors, but no yogurt quite yet. With Sonic on the way and another Rita's down the street,  I think the Soft Serve Ice Cream Wars have begun. We are all going to be quite fat and happy :)
Can anyone describe how to find the new Soft Stuff?

12 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff said...

AAAAHHHH!! Finally!!

Trip Klaus said...

It's on the west side facing the diner in the new building. It's at the far end on the upper parking lot area.

Julie said...

Wondering if they have the orange soft serve like they had before? That stuff was amazing!

cevans said...

Today they had orange. Yummy!

dzoey said...

It's so good and since its indoors now, no mosquitos.

Just be sure to bring cash ; They don't take credit cards.

rsl said...

Hate to say it, but I couldn't detect the taste of vanilla in their vanilla. Very bland.

Anonymous said...

Hate to say it, but their vanilla doesn't have the taste of vanilla; very bland.

Anonymous said...

I was not impressed. I had the orange and the mint. I've had much better many other places. Meadow, e.g., is far superior.

Anonymous said...

I had the orange on Sunday and it's not the same. Didn't even finish it due to the total lack of flavor.

What's up with them not having a menu board? It's not until you get up to the window and then there is a word document?

Adam said...

Went back the other day and went with a chocolate "yogurt." Gotta admit it was horrible. Just insipid and tasted like it was sugar free, and lousy texture. Guess I should have stuck to the real stuff.

LintMan said...

I took the kids to soft stuff on Sunday. It had a line out the door, but it moved fairly quickly.

I thought the butter pecan I ordered was great, and I really liked the taste I had of my son's orange/vanilla twist. My daughter's chocolate/vanilla twist was also good. All of them were very creamy.

I'd take them over any of the yougurt places around here I've been to, or the nearby Rita's.

Anonymous said...

Took my sons to Soft Stuff the other day. One of them ordered cherry and one ordered cotton candy. Essentially, it is vanilla with just the edges coated with the color and (supposedly) the flavor of the ordered type. It looks pretty but was not tasty. Neither of my kids were happy with what they ordered. I had the vanilla with hot fudge and it was okay but not great.

It's too bad because we've been looking forward to having Soft Stuff come back and we can walk over, but I doubt we will.