Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Drinking A Flower: Le Comptoir's Lavender Iced Latte Has Become A Mrs. HowChow Favorite

The Le Provencal iced latte and a chocolate cookie
Narrow-casting here for the lavender lovers in Howard County.  For everyone else, there are still cookies.

Le Comptoir in Columbia offers an iced latte flavored with lavender that has become one of Mrs. HowChow's favorite things.  Le Provencal is pricey at $6, but it's her treat as we sit on the lakefront.  Done right, it's a revelation. Perfectly iced coffee with a waft of lavender.

Not the flavor of soap, which is a common problem when you cook with lavender.  This is a hint of flavor, more of scent than something strong.  We assume they use a lavender simple syrup, but we're happy to enjoy without knowing the secret.

And then there are always cookies if you want a treat without flowery flavors.  Le Comptoir makes a variety of baked goods that have made it one of our favorite places.  But those chocolate cookies have become our favorites -- crunch on the outside, moist inside.  Not cakey (because we're not a cake family).

Le Comptoir is a terrific place to stop before checking out the new Whole Foods on the lakefront.  Walk from the grocery down towards the lake and Clyde's.  Le Comptoir, Petit Louis and Sushi Sono are all perpendicular to Clyde's overlooking the lake.

3 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff said...

I LOVE lavender in my food!!! I'll definitely have to check this out. I agree re: Whole Foods and Le Comptoir. I did that exact trip when I went to the Whole Foods opening last Wednesday; a nice stroll down to Le Comptoir, a croissant by the lake. Perfection! I talked about it in my HoCo Life podcast - have you heard it?

Xani said...

YES! I tried this a couple weeks ago and it was so delicious. Perfect thing to sip while sitting outside and watching the world go by!

Jenn said...

I love lavender! Definitely going there tomorrow. When I worked at JHU I would always go to Charmington's, the only other cafe I have seen a lavender latte in.