Tuesday, October 2, 2012

AYCE Sushi At Kimko Seafood Restaurant

Not my plate. I skipped salad.
There are only two types of people in the world: Those who want all-you-can-eat sushi and those who don't.

Or is that just here in my house?

I took the '34 Act Gourmet for a weekday lunch at Kimko Sushi in Ellicott City.  This is the former Bethany Sushi.  It's a Korean restaurant with lots of seafood specials.  Many offered in Korean printed on the wall.

We started simple -- walk in, order the buffet, and go to work with an empty plate.  We filled them fast.  Start with the sushi, of course.  Don't overfill the plate, but work down the line.  Fish is cut thin, but there is a lot of it.  Some sushi pieces with a single slice.  Many rolls with rice, vegetables and fish.

Kimko's sushi
On the second plate, look around.  Along with the sushi in the front, Kimko has a hot bar along the side.  That's some Korean food like barbecue beef, noodle dishes, and kimchi.

Don't miss the kimchi.  I was facing all-you-can-eat sushi, so I could pass on salad, rice, and tempura vegetables.  But the kimchi was delicious without being very spicy.  Other pickled vegetables were a refreshing contrast to the sushi on plates two and three.

I promise this is a good idea.  Some people don't want all-you-can-eat, and I can't claim Kimko has the pizzaz of Sushi Sono or Sushi King.  But it's fun.  Rolls are varied -- tuna, salmon, shrimp, roe, etc.  Rolls are creative.  Several had sliced beets, which were interesting and a little sweet.  The fish was delicious.  Even the tempura shrimp rolls held up on the bar.

(Update: I think the buffet was about $12.  I lost my notes.  And I'm pretty sure it was just Monday to Friday.)

For another report, check out Kyle's report from last year.  And if you don't want all-you-can-eat, you can still stuff yourself at Kimko.  The This Is Gonna Be Good blog wrote about a seafood feast of the regular menu -- including a meter-long wooden platter of sashimi.

Can anyone recommend other food at Kimko?  A bunch of specials are written up without English translations, but they're clearly focusing on seafood -- down to tanks full of live fish.

Kimko Seafood Restaurant
10176 Baltimore National Pike
Ellicott City, MD 21042
(410) 480-1442


NEAR:  Pay attention.  This isn't hard, but I have screwed up the directions several times.  Kimko is on the north side of Rte 40 just west of Bethany Lane.  But it doesn't face Rte 40.  Turn right two driveways before the traffic lights at Pine Orchard Lane.  Kimko is all the way down at the end.  If you go too far, turn right anyway.  You'll drive into a parking lot with Mirocjo and other good food.  You can walk up the hill and into Kimko's back door.

Kimko Seafood Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Amber F said...

My husband and I went today. It was $10 for the buffet, and the sushi was delicious. None of it was labeled, so we weren't always sure what we were eating, but all of it was good. By the time we had 2 plates of sushi, I didn't have any room left for the hot food, but I did try one bite each of a few of the dishes. It was good, too, but I preferred the sushi. Thanks for this tip--I never would have found this place without it!