Monday, June 2, 2014

Two Restaurants Closed, But The Trend Has Been Really Good Places Are Taking Over Leases

Two longtime Howard County restaurants have apparently closed -- the Copeland's near the mall and the Applebee's in the "restaurant park" off Rte 108.

I actually hadn't eaten at either.  But I know they had fans, and the Copeland's closing was a surprise when I heard about it from Eileen on the HowChow Facebook page.

The recent trend has been that restaurant space gets leased pretty quickly:
We got carry out from Royal Taj last night. First of all, this is the first time I remember the owner asking how hot we wanted our food. Perhaps this means they are moving toward more authentic Indian rather than Americanized??? Or, they just forgot to ask in the past. Or, my husband forgot they asked - LOL 
The time to get there for carry out is right when they open, because then the owner is in the front and not very busy, so able to talk He said they have begun construction in the new location, opening planned before October. When it is time to move, they will close the existing Royal Taj for a week and transition to the new one. His goal is that when they open in the new location everything will be running smoothly from day one. 
And by the way, I got Chicken Saag and I think it was prepared better than I remember it from the past.
Does anyone know the plan for the Copeland's space?  The company's Web site doesn't show any locations in Maryland now, so maybe they had a plan to retrench.  I assume that's a prime restaurant location just off Little Patuxent Parkway and near the lakefront scene with Petit Louis, Sushi Sono, Clyde's and Tomato Palace.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's going on with the Chik-fil-A?

Keith said...

There was speculation about Copeland's a while back from Wordbones/TaleOfTwoCities based on the development plan.

http://writing-the-wrongs.blogspot.com/2012/07/beyond-whole-foods.html

Anonymous said...

The Chik fil off 100 is being renovated, I saw it on facebook somewhere, they will open back up when they are done.

Anonymous said...

web page says June 30 opening date for Chick fil a

Adam said...

Two more minor notes:

Jerry's Subs and Pizza on Route 40 closed. So did the YoLavie frozen yogurt than had opened at the Turf Valley plaza.

Unknown said...

The YoLavie didn't even make it to summer.

Jenn said...

Can't say I'm too upset about Copeland's being gone. The last time I was there, they had overcooked my steak (asked for medium rare-it was around medium well). The server took my steal away without an apology, and when he came back had the gall to ask "so did you want for us to cook another one, or what?" Needless to say, even though the second steak was done perfectly it left a bad taste in my mouth. The food was pretty OK there but I would rather see a local place open up in that location. Especially with all the great new stuff coming to the lakefront.

Anonymous said...

Chik-fil-A had flyers on their tables last time I was there (~3 weeks ago) saying they're undergoing renovations. It'll be open for a couple weeks and then closing for a couple weeks with renovations the entire time. I don't recall the exact dates of each segment though.

Hopefully they can do something to alleviate the god awful parking/drive-thru lane disaster that occurs during lunch rush. The way those cars back up just isn't safe for anyone trying to get in or out.

Morty Abzug said...

We went to Copeland's a number of times. I liked their jambalaya, and my wife liked their biscuits. Haven't been there in a while, though -- a lot of their food didn't hit the mark. And I've got a good Louisiana place near work.

With Copeland's closed, does Columbia have any other Cajun/Creole places?

Zevonista said...

The one time I went to Copland's, it was pretty much a joke. There was a crab claw in the jambalaya (weird enough)…when I asked for a hammer or nut-cracker to open it and get the meat, I was told that it "was just for show, they didn't expect anyone to actually it eat it."

Never went back.

HowChow said...

@Adam -- That Jerry's will become a ramen restaurant. Check out this post: http://bit.ly/1jJaAF9

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a good seafood restaurant come to Columbia (and I'm not talking about crabs). A non-chain restaurant would be ideal.

Junior Barnes said...

The Patch is reporting that Maggiano's will open in Columbia Mall on June 9.

Adam Paul said...

Not to try to circulate rumors, but is Waffee on Frederick at St. Johns still open? Last couple times I've driven past, it's been lights out, including at 630pm on a Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Hunan House in Laurel (216 and Rt 29) is closed! We are in shock. No notice other than a note taped to the door.

Needless to say, this 24-year institution will be sorely missed.

PSeto said...

Darn! Hunan House was my go-to spot for Chinese for lunch :(

K8teebug said...

The Indian Restaurant in Maple Lawn will open in 3-4 weeks.