Friday, June 13, 2014

New Farmers Market In Maple Lawn: Get Ful-Ton On Veggies, Eggs, Meats, Coffee, And More

Love Dove Farm
A new farmers market has started Saturday mornings on Maple Lawn Boulevard in Fulton -- vegetables, eggs, baked goods and more in a parking lot .

The market started last weekend, and it should run every other Saturday mornings into the fall.  Last weekend was fun -- and it isn't even the season for the best vegetables.

(Updated:  I added "every other" because I misunderstood.  Thanks Amber.  Look at this Web site for the dates.)

Mrs. HowChow and I got a tomato plant from Pong's Orchard.  Then we filled a shopping bag with radishes, kale, and eggs.  I bought spinach, but I think that I left it on the Love Dove Farm table.  At least, I never found it in our fridge to cook this week.

Markets are fun.  This one had two bakeries, a coffee company and used books on top of the farm stands.  Folks came out with kids and dogs.  People who live in Maple Lawn can walk over, but there is plenty of parking for anyone from Laurel to Clarksville who wanted to check it out.  We had fun, and the selection should just get better as fields ripen with tomatoes, cucumbers, melons and the great tastes of summer.

To me, the find of the morning were eggs from TLV Tree Farm.  I've been replacing some chicken dinners with dishes made with eggs, and the TLV eggs were delicious.  Folks swear by small farm eggs.  I thought these were especially bright, and the yolks were firm and tasty.  For Sunday night, I made them the stars of a dish from Yotom Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's cookbook Jerusalem.

Shakshuka w/TLV eggs
They taught me to make shakshuka -- a Tunisian dish for breakfast or lunch.  You basically cook a sauce of tomato and peppers flavored with garlic, cumin, and a harissa paste made from spices, red pepper, red onion, garlic and hot peppers.  Then you crack eggs into indentations and let them cook in the sauce.  A great reason to try TLV eggs or to check Jerusalem out of the Howard County library.

The Maple Lawn farmers market is on Maple Lawn Boulevard just south of Johns Hopkins Road.  It is the parking lot of a medical office building across from the Maple Lawn pool.

1 comment:

Amber F. said...

According to the website, it is every other Saturday only. http://howardcountyfarmersmarkets.com/Saturday.html