Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Pizza And Crab Soup At Johnny's Bistro: A Casual Kitchen With Real Ambition On Main Street

Pizza from Johnny's Bistro
I'm underestimating Johnny's Bistro on Main Street in Ellicott City.

A few weekend ago, I sat down planning a simple lunch, and the waitress served us tiny samples of crab soup that left me hungry for more.  Like an entire bowl, which I ordered and really enjoyed.  Suddenly, I was inspired to get a salad or a panini as something new.

But I had promised pizza to a three-year-old.

That's what we have eaten whenever we popped into Johnny's, and it didn't seem fair to abandon the pie that BigJ had been promised.  Especially when the pies are really good.  Three of us -- me, BigJ and BigJ's father -- split a pepperoni, and we happily ate every scrap.

I think Johnny's Bistro has one of the best pizzas around.  Nice crust with character and char.  Good sauce and cheese.  Johnny's is a casual joint on the hill in downtown Ellicott City, but the kitchen has real ambition.  Even a pizza for a five-year-old compared to my favorite local places like Facci or Coal Fire.

Next trip, we need to get past the pizza and try other dishes.  I'd love any suggestions.

Johnny's Bistro
8167 Main Street
Ellicott City, MD 21043
410.461.8210

NEAR:  Johnny's is in the historic downtown Ellicott City.  It's downhill from the intersection with Old Columbia Pike and just uphill from the Sweet Cascades candy shop.

Johnny's Bistro on Main on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For your sweet tooth the Creme Brulee is fabulous. It's positively addicting with the crunch of lightly caramalized sugar crystals on top. Yum!

Ken Oh said...

My suggestion: Get anything on the special. Anything. It'll be comparable to any dish at a fancy place, but around half the price.

Cheryl said...

Try the seared tuna appetizer and the warm mushroom salad with grilled shrimp. Delicious!

Patapsco Mike said...

Johnny's has been awesome since the day it opened. Whenever friends ask me where to eat on Main Street EC on their visit, Johnny's is always on my list of places to check out.

Their soups are always outstanding. The pizza's have an non-traditional flaky crust but as you discovered they are great. My personal favorite is the grilled romaine lettuce hearts. Ask if it's not on the menu and they will make it for you. It's divine.

Jill said...

We haven't been in ages (not sure why!) but used to love Johnny's Bistro! Their pizzas are great.