Thursday, January 26, 2012

Maple Cotton Candy At Whole Foods

When I say that I have tried a lot of cotton candy, I mean that I have carried a stick of the stuff home to my wife from a hockey game.

Hockey games, frou-frou restaurants, Korean markets, the kosher-for-Passover display at Giant.  I have grabbed cotton candy almost everywhere that I have found it -- in no small part because Mrs. HowChow loves to the stuff.

That's how I know that Jed's Maple Cotton Candy has broken the plastic tub barrier.  Before this, all tub candy tasted like tub candy -- wiry and a whiff of chemical.  Don't get me wrong:  I ate all of it except one kosher container that had hardened, but they didn't have the airy texture of fresh candy or the real flavor of something from a restaurant.

Jed's does.  The candy feels cloud light, then melts in your mouth into a maple flavor.  It's gone in a flash, and my hand reaches back in the tub for more.  I don't know how they do it.  The ingredients say it's just regular sugar and maple sugar, and the sell-by date is three months in the future.  One day, we'll have our own Whole Foods in Howard County.  But for now, this is one of the new items to fill the cart when we trek past one.

1 comment:

Carina said...

Mm, I picked up a tub based on your review and wholeheartedly agree. For me, Jed's cotton candy far surpasses the pink fluffy stuff at the carnivals!