Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cool Posts On The Wegmans Facebook Page, Including Great Breads Made By Monks (Monks!)

If you want to hear some more cheering for the coming Wegmans, check out the posts by Myles Gray on the I Want The Columbia Wegmans page.  Myles is posting reasons to shop at Wegmans.  He is on #4 so far.

The bonus is Janice's comment on Myles' post about bread.  Janice says you can great bread at the Shrine of St. Anthony.  Bread made by monks?  Why hasn't someone mentioned this before?



Janice Maketa Orlik If you live in the Columbia area and like homemade bread..(rye included-with seeds) the Shrine of St. Anthony in Ellicott City sells bread made by the monks..awesome!!The Maple/Cinnamon is great !
12 hours ago · 

(Update: Marcia actually saw the Facebook comment and heard back from the Shrine. They confirmed that they have been selling bread made by Trappist monks since November.  The bread is shipped from New York State.  They're $5 each or three for $12.  There are varieties, including white, whole wheat, maple cinnamon, sunflower, and Genesee rye.  They also sell jam.    The gift shop is open 7 days a week from 9am - 4pm.)

6 comments:

Sheila in MD said...

I was intrigued by the bread too and had never heard of it..but I went to the Shrine of St. Anthony's website and found nothing about it...perhaps they don't do it anymore?

Sheila in MD said...

Okay...didn't see the post about the bread in the giftshop until after I posted! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

This isn't local, but somewhat related, if you like Coffee the Monks in Wyoming make some of the best coffee I've had. I got turned on to their coffee by a friend.

http://www.mysticmonkcoffee.com/store/storefront.php

Julie said...

I guess I need to make a trip to Ellicott City! I actually grew up about 15 minutes away from their monastery in Genesee County and never once went there. Although their bread was in just about every grocery store in the area (including Wegmans). It's one of those things that you grow up seeing all the time and take for granted until you've lived away from the area for 15 years!

Jim S. said...

Bought my first loaf of the multi-grain and a jar of the strawberry preserve on Sunday at the Shrine. Have been eating it every day for breakfast. They were out of the raisin bread. I can't wait to try that.

. . . On the Prairie said...

I just picked up loaves of Maple/Cinnamon, Fruits/Berry and Multigrain.

Also two jars of jam.

I love that the loaves are the size that loaves should be.