Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wegmans Submitted Permits To Start Building The New Columbia Store & Garage

Wegmans submitted permit applications on Friday to start construction on its new Columbia store -- describing a one-story grocery store with mezzanine and a two-story parking garage.

I'm steeling myself to the reality that Wegmans probably won't open until 2012.  But any progress warms my heart.  My parents came from Fairfax with Wegmans cheese on Saturday.  Absolutely spectacular.  The grocery aisles will be nice, but I'm really chomping at the bit for the cheese, vegetables and all the prepared and semi-prepared departments.

(Update:  I can now open both permits -- for the store (B11000259) and for the garage (B11000264).  Thanks to Lotsabogeys, who tipped me to two permits.  And thank you for noticing the missing zero.)

You can check Howard County's site yourself.  Anyone know more details or timetable?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

2nd Permit appears to be the store:

"WEGMANS FOOD MARKET/1-STORY W/ MEZZANINE NEW GROCERY STORE"

Marcia said...

Someone posted on Chowhound that they've found osprey where Wegmans is building so Wegmans may need to find a new Columbia site? Anyone know about this?

Steve Fine said...

@ Marcia. I am a bit skeptical about that report. Osprey are not an endangered species and usually nest next to large bodies of water.

Marcia said...

That's what I was thinking Steve, but thenI've been wrong lots before. For all we know, those union folks planted an osprey nest on Wegman's property (KIDDING).

Lotsabogeys said...

I think the osprey comment in the Chowhound thread is about the Harris Teeter that is mentioned in that thread.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Wegmans. There is more detail in this article about opening dates, and also some comments from readers about unions opposition...

“Assuming that we can get our building permit in a timely manner and construction goes smoothly, our tentative opening date is late spring or early summer 2012,” Natale added.

http://www.explorehoward.com/news/79227/wegmans-applies-permits-columbia-store/

Anonymous said...

I believe the building permit number shown in the original post for the garage is missing a "0". It should read:
B11000264.

Hooray for Wegman's. I can't wait. I'll finally be able to go to one closer than Hunt Valley.