Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Trolling: Diet Busters Like Potato Salad, Deviled Eggs, And Breakfast At The Forest Diner

Marcia offers up diet busters for this week's Trolling post.  She found Boarman's through Chowhound, which is a great resource for people who want to hear about local food.  I have been to Boarman's for the sausage and crab cakes, but she found homemade side dishes that sound perfect for summer picnics.  Then, she suggests a place for lunch and a place for breakfast.

I've been driving by Boarman's grocery on Rt. 108 in Highland for a few years now and thought I'd stop in after reading on Chowhound that they have good potato salad. What a spot - they have a little of everything crammed into a very tight store. In the back is a small meat counter and deli both doing a brisk Friday afternoon business. They probably had 4 different potato salads, tuna salad, a good-looking seafood salad (not too much mayo) and DEVILED EGGS!!! I tried the potato salad with egg, a Red Bliss version (very little mayo) and the German potato salad. When I mentioned that I'd read that their potato salad was good, the woman said she had just finished making the one with the egg. All were yummy, as was the tuna salad. Not sure if these were all homemade, I am going to stop again and chat when it's less busy. The meats over on that side looked very good.  Worth checking out if you are out that way !
Another favorite of ours is Nora Cafe in the Normandy Shopping Center in Ellicott City.  Breakfast is nothing special, but we really enjoy their lunch sandwiches. I love their panini. Service is fast, and sandwiches are tasty.
Another spot we like, after NOT being impressed a few years ago: The breakfast at Forest Diner in Ellicott City. The home fries are really yummy, I believe I overheard the cashier say they are made in a pressure cooker? Not sure. They have a bit of spice on them, not hot. I like fried eggs over easy - the cook gets them just right. We always joke that the Ellicott City cognizenti (sp?) seem to breakfast there on weekends, and I keep my ears peeled for the local news. The last time we were there, a group of us got into a discussion about Honey Pig after overhearing someone ask the cashier about it. If you haven't been there in a few years, as was the case with us, the Forest Diner another try!! I've never had Henny Penny fried chicken, but I saw signs that it is served there, FYI.  [Forest Diner sold its property and has a five-year lease now to operate there.]

Trolling on Tuesday is my attempt at a series where readers would share three things with other HowChow readers -- favorite restaurant dishes, food to buy, food experiences, etc.  Click here for all the Trolling posts.  Click here for the explanation and the rules.  Anyone can submit.  



3 comments:

Leeann said...

I agree that Forest Diner breakfasts are the best! They have one for $4.99 that includes coffee, two eggs, bacon or sausage, breakfast potatoes or grits and two pieces of toast. It is fantastic.

dzoey said...

I've had the Henny Penny chicken at Forest Diner and it is not my favorite. It's not bad, but to me it was bland. My experience with Forest is that they have good food, but not all the time. Given the plethora of choices in the area now, I haven't been back to Forest for six months.

Now..Soft Stuff is another story. I've been there almost every week - yum!

Kristen Jones said...

The breakfast sandwiches at Boarmens are very good, with their sausage made in store. The deli also has meaty sandwiches and subs made dietz and watson.