Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Trolling: Peruvian Chicken, Ledo's Pizza, And That Lobster Grilled Cheese (Again) At Victoria's

HoCoRising writes the blog of the same name -- one of the regulars in the Hoco Blogs community.    The HCR blog runs to local politics, but he covers a lot of local news and links to many other local blogs, which I consider a great service.  HoCoRising's food suggestions run to the comfort food -- roasted chicken, pizza, and a grilled cheese with fries:
Pollo Fuego in JessupThis was a place I found through this site, and I am in love.  The chicken is always moist and well seasoned.  The spicy sauce is made of magic.  On top of everything else, their plantains are just as good, if not better, than Fogo de Chao.  You can feed a family of four for around $20, and probably still have left-overs.  My only complaint is that the service wasn't all that friendly, but that almost seems to add to the character of the place.
Ledo's Pizza in Fulton, Clarksville, Columbia, etc.  I grew up in Highland and therefore have some affinity for the pizza "made with the pie crust."  My wife isn't the biggest fan, so I normally can only have Ledo's if she isn't home or has already had dinner.  This is the only pizza I "crave" and I have a lot of T-ball memories associated with the place.
Lobster Grilled Cheese with Duck Fat Fries, Victoria's Gastropub in Columbia.  I'm sure Victoria's gets enough play [as in two weeks ago here], and everyone knows how good it is, but the Lobster Grilled Cheese is my "can't skip" item on the menu.  By that, I mean that when I go there, I am afraid to order something else for fear it will not be as good as the grilled cheese and therefore present an "opportunity cost" in this hard-to-be-seated restaurant.  I eat in the bar area whenever I can, especially on Sunday mornings.  It almost seems like that is where you are "supposed to" eat . . . especially when they are giving out free Peanut Butter and Jelly shots. 
Trolling on Tuesday is my attempt at a series where readers would share three things with other HowChow readers -- favorite restaurant dishes, food to buy, food experiences, etc.  Click here for all the Trolling posts.  Click here for the explanation and the rules.  Anyone can submit.  

12 comments:

Adam said...

Haha I love the reference to the "opportunity cost" at Victoria. I often have this same feeling at one of my favorite places in Utah, and have it to a certain extent at all my "usual" places. It's like if you get something else, and it's not freaking amazing, you've suddenly lost.

It's funny with pizza and nostalgia. I could never appreciate a proper Neapolitan or wood fired pie and a kid, and even though I'm pretty stuck up with my pizza views now, I still get cravings for a jumbo, greasy slice of Mama Illardo's. I guess it's just one of those things that you remember from childhood.

Tom Coale (HCR) said...

Thanks for the post, HowChow. Now I'm craving my own recommendations.

Sarah said...

I totally get the opportunity cost thing! I gotta say, the Cuban panini is pretty good, too. Also, from here, I tried the burger and wow. That is one good burger.

Anonymous said...

I love the Blog so I hate to be so negative on a dreary day, but Pollo F. was terrible when I went there - look closely and you'll notice they cross-contaminate there utensils and work space between raw and cooked chicken... Raelly? Ledo Pizza? if you're from the NY area you have to just wonder about pizza that is served in the shape of a cafeteria tray. I could see if it tasted good, but not in my opinion. As for VGP, the place is mobbed with the wrong kind of people paying too much for food that's a bit cliche.

Tom Coale (HCR) said...

Anon -- you probably could have avoided being so negative if you had mentioned ONE food item in HoCo that you like.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with Anonymous's comments re Pollo Fuego in Jessup. I really wanted to like this place. But eating there made me ill, and now I think I know why. The tasty chicken is not worth the consequences, to me at least. They need to clean up their act.

Jess said...

I know what you mean about "opportunity cost" - you know it's good when you're afraid to order anything else!!

Pizzablogger said...

"if you're from the NY area you have to just wonder about pizza that is served in the shape of a cafeteria tray"

Well, that makes the hundreds of places in NYC that sell Sicilian, "Squares" and Nonna or "Grandma" pizzas something to wonder about, even though cafeteria tray shaped pizza has been sold in NYC for over 70 years now. --K

Anonymous said...

I didn't grow up around here and I can't even begin to tell you how bad I think Ledo's pizza is. And I didn't grow up in New York City either. I grew up in the midwest. This has to be truly the worst pizza ever invented. Really? Are they kidding?

Brandon Miller - Milhouse44 said...

94 locations and counting. All selling 'worst pizza ever invented'.
Weird.
Just goes to show you...opinions are like Anonymous's everybody has one and they all stink.

HowChow said...

Two thoughts:

1) Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate that people read HowChow and have real conversations in the comments.

Anonymous' criticisms seem factual and expressed politely as his/her opinions (although I'm not sure what "the wrong kind of people" means). HoCoRising makes a great point that negative comments can be leavened by offering an alternative like "I prefer the pizza at XXXXX." But Blogger doesn't let commenters fix errors or revise points in light of insightful follow on.

I'm happy to chase away nasty or bitter comments, but people's heartfelt comments about shortcomings seem useful. People don't need to be saccharine as long as they're writing about the food and their experience -- and not personally attacking someone.

2) Trolling is an open call for submissions. So Anonymous -- or anyone else -- is welcome to offer his/her own list. First names or funny pseudonyms are fine.

bboyneko said...

I just tried Pollo Fuego and loved it. As some commenters have noted, it may not be fine dining but it is AUTHENTIC. I grew up in Colombia and our family would have this type of chicken often..and it tasted JUST like I remembered it.

Don't expect white table cloths, just some damn fine chicken with some EXCELLENT plantains. I recommend the chicken subs if an entire chicken is not your cup of tea.