Thursday, February 27, 2014

Special Oranges At Wegmans: The Sumos Were Scheduled To Arrive Last Night, Will Go Soon

Sumo countdown at Wegmans
If you want an indulgent treat, go to Wegmans  today and grab a box of the Sumo tangerines from the shipment that was scheduled to arrive last night.

(Update:  I actually recommend that you avoid the Sumos delivered this year to the Columbia Wegmans.  The oranges are delicious, and some people have had no problems.  But our box rotted.  An orange was liquid by Friday, and others were soft.  I know that happened to other people.  Wegmans was easy and friendly with a return, so I'm fine.  But at a minimum I suggest that you feel every Sumo in your box and then wash them as soon as you get home.)

Sumo are a brand-name for a delicious hybrid fruit -- a cross between an orange and tangerine.  They're special citrus.  The peel pulls away easily. The section have a skin so thin that it's almost like they're all pulp. You get a strong citrus flavor, less sweet than those tiny oranges and more flavor of great fresh-squeezed juice.

I wrote about Sumos two years ago when they were a top-secret project just coming to market.  Wegmans has joined the fun.  They had a countdown clock at the entrance this week, and they had an order for almost 600 boxes.  I don't know the price, but they won't be cheap.  But then, they're fruit.  Even expensive fruit will be a relatively-small splurge, and you deserve some excitement in the midst of winter.

Go soon because they'll sell quickly.  I'd ask Wegmans to save me a box, but I doubt they'll last far into the weekend.

Of course, if you're looking for citrus fun, then you need to know about Al Pong's orchard.  Pong has commented on prior Sumo posts, and he grows and breeds all kinds of fruit trees in Fulton.  Last year, Pong said he was getting some varieties that competed with the Sumo.  Kyle wrote a few years ago about getting a kaffir lime tree from Pong's orchard.  It's definitely a fun local place to know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought my box yesterday, $13.99 a box for 7 oranges. I believe this is about the same price as last year.

Anonymous said...

Whole Foods carries them also. $2.99 per pound. The ones I bought on Tuesday were good. My daughter loves them.

Rhfoodie said...

Rotten! Be warned Wegmann shipment contains large quantity rotten fruit. I returned the box on I brought and the customer service rep said a lot were coming back.

Trip Klaus said...

Pardon my ignorance, but are halos a cheaper version of the same thing? I've seen them everywhere the last couple of weeks.

kelbymommy said...

Picked some up today. They are delicious!

HowChow said...

@Trip Klaus -- I don't know halos, so I'm not sure. My understanding is that Sumos are a specific hybrid that this company cultivated and grew in California. Theoretically, Halos could be identical or just very similar. This specific shipment to Wegmans has problems so I'd recommend that people at a minimum touch every orange in their box and wash them as soon as you get home. But they're really delicious.

Anonymous said...

not an orange fan, but did buy these last week. Delicious. Wegman's has reduced the price - they are 9.99 and they had several boxes left as of noon today.

timothy.tingyaw.hwu said...

I don't think Halos are the same. I think these are much larger and has a very full "orangey" taste. I bought probably 10 boxes through the season last year. Only managed one this year.