Monday, February 17, 2014

Jersey Mike's Coming To Elkridge At Trader Joe's

A sub chain called Jersey Mike's appears to be opening in Elkridge in the shopping center with Trader Joe's and Perfect Pour -- across from the Costco.

I don't know Mike, but I have received raves from several excited people.  I have always held up Philadelphia sandwiches as a gold standard when I think about good locals like C&B Italian Dely on Rte 40.  It sounds like Jersey Mike's has a South Jersey pedigree, as Zevonista wrote me:
Used to eat these on the Jersey shore - looking forward to their arrival! 
It's been quite a while since I've been to one - but my memory is that they're bigger, with a good amount of meat. Meat sliced as you wait. And the bread is (well, used to be!) great - fresh, baked in store. Hopefully they still do that. 
My experience around here is with pizza places, where they do subs kind of as a backup to pizza. They're fine, but it's not how they make their money. Meats not fresh, bread been sitting around for a bit...
Fresh bread and fresh-sliced meats will make these sandwiches stand up around here.  Marcia confirmed that and said she goes to a Jersey Mike's in Laurel:
I go occasionally to the Jersey Mike's in Laurel.  I don't know if you've been to one, their subs aren't the "stuffed with meat" variety but they use great quality real Italian cold cuts (mortadella, etc) in their subs. T he rolls are nice and crusty.  Head and shoulders above Subway.
This Gateway Overlook center is also the site of the coming-soon Peruvian place Pisco.  That's a few doors down.  Does anyone know the plan or the timing for Pisco or Jersey Mike's?

Hat tip to Randy, Kerri and several anonymous commenters who also saw the signs for Jersey Mike's in Gateway Overlook.

8 comments:

Alan said...

I've been to the one in Laurel a couple times and will be among those to rave. Everything tastes much fresher than any of the other sub chains I've been to.

Adam said...

I'd rather have a good fast casual burger place like Jake's Wayback or Smashburger. That or a Zaxby's, but they seem to be stalled when moving north. Subs just ain't my thing.

Avram said...

My experience with Jersey Mike's is that they put way too much oil making the bread soggy. I've also had call in orders made wrong one too many times and am hesitant to try again. If you are gonna eat there and watch them make the sub and go light on condiments it is a good sub.

Dan said...

Jimmy Johns for life. Just don't think about Jimmy shooting that elephant.

Anonymous said...

The subs at Jersey Mike's are edible but nothing to write home about, IMHO. I ate there every once in a while when I lived in NC. In the nine years since I've moved back up here, I haven't even thought about Jersey Mike's until seeing this post, so I guess that says something.

Zevonista said...

Looks like they're opening March 12th.

http://elkridge.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/jersey-mikes-opening-at-gateway-overlook

Eric said...

The were open at least as of the 13th. Didn't have time to stop.

Junior Barnes said...

I had the roast beef and the turkey. The turkey was the standard pre-processed type, but the combination of the roast beef, oils, and roll made the roast beef one quite tasty. I tried to go there on Friday March 14 and it was standing room only. I went last night early and the line was fine.