Monday, June 18, 2012

Wegmans First Thought: Go Pretzel Roll

Pretzel rolls at Wegmans
I'm sitting in the kitchen listening to the metal lids pop as my newly-pickled beets cool down from the canning bath.

Because I had the day set aside for food, I took advantage of the morning at Wegmans.  It was easy to maneuver from 8-10 am when I wheeled around.  As the day's work ends, I'm writing up a longer post.

But first advice:  Go pretzel roll.  The bakery is one of my favorite parts of the new Wegmans in Columbia.  They share my love of the crusty loaves, and I grabbed pretzel rolls at Mrs. HowChow's request as I entered the store.  Then, I grabbed a pretzel on the way out.

This makes a terrific roll.  The pretzel was fine, but, at $2.50, a pretzel has to wow me.  It was the pretzel roll that became a meal as I lunched on cheese, some fruit, and lemon-pickled beets from last October.  The pretzel crust is unusual and lightly salted.  The inside scooped up the cheese as I worked and ate.  I've been joking about Wegmans mania, but that is the kind of little item that really does make the place stand out.

11 comments:

Amber Mc said...

I was up at the Hunt Valley Wegmans last week and grabbed one pretzel roll on a whim. I grabbed it right out of the bag when I loaded up and snacked on it on the way home. It was fantastic!

Jessica said...

My husband and I got fat eating those pretzel rolls when we lived down the road from the Woodbridge, VA Wegmans. They are particularly good with the fresh, real butter that is usually sold across from the bakery counter.

Chilly said...

I have resisted the Wegman's mania up until now, figuring I'd wait a couple of weeks for all the hype to die down, but this picture did it. I used to live on these things when I lived in Germany, they're called Laugenbroetchen there. I haven't seen any since I left there nearly 2 decades ago, and I started drooling the minute I saw the picture. I'm on the way out the door right now...

Gabrielle said...

Just an FYI: if you are in Eldersburg one day (in Carroll County), they carry pretzel rolls at the Martin's supermarket here.

K8teebug said...

How do these compare to the Harris Teeter pretzel rolls? Because I am obsessed with the HT ones.

duanestclair said...

Costco also sells these.

HowChow said...

@K8teebug -- You know, I have had the pretzel roll at HT. I like some of the HT bread, but I can't say that the pretzel roll made me come back. I should try it again. I'm finding a few frozen rolls make all the difference when I'm trying to figure out dinner.

K8teebug said...

Costco's are not salty enough for me. I like the HT pretzel roll because it is a good sandwich size but also good with queso dip :) I am sure Wegmans' is also great as I cannot get enough of their pistachio and vanilla muffins and I don't even generally like muffins at all.

Anonymous said...

Wegmans is better!

Anonymous said...

Wegmans is fresh baked, just like in Germany!!!

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe has been advertising them.