Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Link: Bon Fresco Gets A Rave From The WPost

Bon Fresco gets a rave in today's WPost -- talking up the spectacular bread and the thoughtful sandwiches. Owner Gerald Koh gets congratulated both for baking terrific breads and then name-dropped so that you know he used to work for people approved by the Post's Food section.

I still stand by my comment that Bon Fresco in Columbia is one of the best restaurants in Howard County.  And Koh says again that he is hoping to add breakfast in March.

My favorite part of the review was the short trip back down memory lane to when I was a newspaper reporter and nothing actually happened until I wrote about it in the newspaper:
Bon Fresco is a hidden gem. With zero street presence (it's tucked behind a somewhat larger cluster of stores) and no Web site yet, it's the kind of place you would have to discover on your own.
You have to discover Bon Fresco on your own -- or from the repetitive HowChow posts pushing the bread and sandwiches since last summer or from Yelp or from Chowhound or from DonRockwell . . . . . .

7 comments:

Sarah said...

We (finally!) went there a week ago and had fantastic sandwiches, as you said. We were looking for a place that had calmer food due to some dietary issues and their sandwiches fit the bill. That's not to say they are bland!

Their salads are great as well-- I particularly enjoyed the lentil salad.

dzoey said...

I really like the food at Bon Fresco and the owner is very nice. However, he's been saying "we'll start breakfast next month" for about six months now.
P.S. The sweets there are very good (brownies, cinnamon rolls, chocolate croissants)

HowChow said...

@dzoey -- You're absolutely right. I think this is an example of how the type of place creates my expectations.

Bon Fresco does great bread and food for a really reasonable price. The people are super friendly, and Koh runs it six days a week. I'm so aware that that must be horribly difficult that I'm not that bothered by the fact that they have been telling customers informally about breakfast for months.

I think I would have a different perspective in a restaurant where the prices or the atmosphere hold the place out as something different. I'm trying to be as compassionate to everyone, but it is really easy to love having Bon Fresco in the neighborhood.

Trip Klaus said...

Thanks to you HowChow I learned about Bon Fresco and also like it. Sadly, the review only made it to the going out guide blog and not the WP food section proper. WQhile I understand that the Post's circulation is dwindling I would have been nice to see it in print.

In tribute to EL my word verification: conscher. Perfect one who harvests grapes.

Heeper said...

Have to rave about the new-ish cinnamon sticks/rolls at Bon Fresco - delish! And I love that I can buy their bread to take home and it's a pretty reasonable price for such great bread!

kam said...

I was able to get to Bon Fresco just before the first of the recent blizzards, and it was great. Plus that meant we had plenty of nice bread to get us through the first storm. Thanks for pointing it out to me; I drive by that shopping center on occasion but I don't think I would have stopped in if it weren't for the recommendations.

BeerGuy said...

Its crazy I haven't gotten in there, its just down the road from Frisco Grille and I love sandwiches.

Oy ...