Thursday, February 18, 2010

Comments About Sonic, Tacos, And Sushi

I'm always pleased when people post comments on HowChow, although I'm often surprised at what kicks up the most dust.

I figured that people would respond to Lee Biars' post about restaurants, and Sarah led several people who added their two cents to Lee's observations from the other side of the check.  I did not expect 20 great comments about liquor stores last month and was shocked that a tiny post about Sonic would trigger excitement from Danita, emkenton, Simon and others.  I'm suspicious because of the hype about Fatburger, which Craig F says still doesn't deliver.  What makes people love Sonic so much?  Mrs. HowChow says the limeade.  What else should excite us for the future Sonic in Ellicott City?  Anyone know where the Sonic will open?

If HowChow had a single great mission, it would be proselytizing about takeout tacos.  MaybeKathy loved the chicharronnes tacos at Lily's Mexican Market, and the new joint -- R&R Deli in Elkridge -- got compliments on several posts from Southern Skies, dzoey and bboyneko and from Michelle and fultie.   (Okay, maybe our great mission is ridiculing the area west of Rte 29 that the post office calls Laurel.  Fultie joined that mission as well with a link that shows the crazy zip codes around there.)

The funniest comment was only funny because The Minx was correcting my mistake.  I had gone on in the Hunan Taste post about "ox lung" and how I would know if it was good lung.  Turns out that "ox lung" actually refers to a combination of beef tripe, tendon and tongue.    Whoops.  My mistake, although I still don't know that I'm rushing to order.  And then there were comments galore:
I've taken 2 cooking classes recently at Cafe de Paris and enjoyed them very much. I haven't had a meal there since Laurent came on board yet which is why I asked if you had -- I wondered what you thought. I plan to but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I can tell you that Laurent conducts the cooking classes, it's hands-on so the students help prepare the meal, you make 3 courses, and you get to eat what you make which they pair with different wines. 
Both times I thought the appetizers we made were excellent, there has been a protein course each time (one time I liked it the other time not so much) and a dessert course which were great.  I am not in any way affiliated with the restaurant would be happy to post something once I've dined there. I would recommend a class if you're in to that kind of thing. It's fun to actually prepare food in a commercial kitchen which is something I had never done before.

7 comments:

emkenton said...

Curry N Spice was a take-out storefront located in the strip behind Rocky Run back when Lily's Mexican Market was there, too. When they consolidated all those stores to put in the mega Champion Billards and Barstools (which then closed), Cuury N Spice closed...

...and reopened a year later as Mirchi Wok. To my understanding, it was always owned/run by the Mango Grove people. I guess that Wok 175 or whatever it was called went out next to MG so there was an opening and they decided to open a non-veg Indian place. We loved going to Curry N Spice because it was their high level of quality at bare bones takeout prices-- although you could even eat in the store, with plastic plates and cutlery. I think the Channa Masala was $5.95 or something unbelievable like that.

We are diehard Mirchi Wok fans because of our first experience with that little storefront, but we do still yearn for those bargain-basement prices!

So all of this begs the question: did they reopen the market/restaurant somewhere??

Amber F. said...

Another question: Are there any 24-hour restaurants in Howard County? We're in Highland, but might be willing to drive 30 minutes or so if the place is good.

BeerGuy said...

I personally don't know of any 24 hour dining places in HoCo.

Its hard enough finding places serving food past say, 10.

Dog Pub serves until 1 PM or so, Victoria the same but from a more limited bar menu.

K8teebug said...

I went to a Sonic in Alabama. It was eh. Don't know what all the hype is about.

P90 Noir said...

For Sonic, it's all about the limeade and the cheesy tots. The limeade is good. The cheesy tots, eh...

Question - Is there anywhere in HoCo to get good falafel? I'm tired of driving to Annapolis or Silver Spring for Lebanese Taverna!

ho.co.po said...

Thanks for the shout-out :o). Just a couple of clarifications:

-- Nichi Bei Kai's new management has improved over itself, not over the old management. Anyone who had stopped going in frustration over the food quality or other general confusion after the takeover can feel safe to return now. [And those who haven't tried it yet can feel safe to go ;o). Fri/Sat/Sun dinner is best if you're doing the sushi bar.]

-- As for me, there's an "s" missing from my gender ;o)... but you had no way to know that.

Good to see something from BillZ — I haven't been getting any RSS from his blogs.

For 24-hour food I'd recommend Honey Bee in Glen Burnie... but if Highland is where I think it is, that's quite a hike. You may be better off looking in MoCo. They sure do roll up the sidewalks here in HoCo...

(What county is the Laurel IHOP in? Is it still 24 hrs on weekends?)

Penny said...

I'd like to thank you, HowChow, for proselytizing about takeout tacos. The mister and I finally went to the Shell Station today and had those gas station tacos. YUM! Not sure I've ever had better lamb soup, and the tacos, mmmmm, the tacos ...