Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rose Water Lassi at Mango Grove

The rose water lassi at Mango Grove proves that milkshakes can be refreshing.

OK. It isn't a milkshake. It's a yogurt drink flavored -- and beautifully colored -- with a few drops of rose water for a delicate, adult concoction that Mrs. HowChow makes part of every dinner at the Columbia Indian restaurant. In fact, she'll order them or a mango lassi at almost any Indian restaurant in Columbia -- and there are several goods ones, including Akbar, House of India, and the new India Delight.

The lassis are refreshing, and they're a nice way to sample real Indian flavors without filling your table with too much food. Of course, if you want the full taste of India, try a salt lassi -- a flavor that hasn't converted me yet.

For more about the Indian restaurants, check out my post about Indian restaurants in Howard County. To make your own rose water lassi, pick up a bottle of rose water at any of the Indian or Middle Eastern stores in the post about ethnic groceries in Howard County.

Mango Grove
Mirchi Wok
6365B Dobbin Center
Columbia, MD 21045
410-884-3426
www.themangogrove.com

Near: On Dobbins Road just south of Rte 175. It is in a outbuilding of the Wal-Mart shopping center next to the McDonalds and the Chik-Fil-a.

3 comments:

Nakiya @ Taste of Baltimore said...

The salted lassis are the only kind my mum will drink!
Unfortunately, my palate is only attracted to the sweet kind, especially mango! Rose water sounds lovely though.

Kattrina said...

I agree - I LOVE the mango lassis. Salty drinks just don't sound that appealing, but I may have to try it one day....

Radha said...

I always get a salt lassi -- but then, I'm 2nd generation Indian. It's more of a 'spice' lassi than 'salt', fwiw.