Monday, August 8, 2011

Pupuseria Las Delicias #2 Serving Grilled Meats And Big Sides In Columbia Near Snowden

Local lunches aren't my speciality because I'm a train-ride away most weekdays, but you can get out of your rut by following Rob to a new food truck selling grilled steak, chicken and ribs near the southern end of Snowden River Parkway in Columbia.

Pupuseria La Delicias #2 serves up $8 plates with meat and "south of the border" sides from morning to mid-afternoon, and Rob has stopped by with an appetite and a camera:
Pupuseria Las Delicias #2 is run by Carla, who arrives Monday through Friday at 9:00 am and stays open until 2:00 pm.  Carla drives the food truck, which holds her supplies, and she tows a magnificent grill with 55-gallon-drum-type grill on the back end and a two-door smokebox on the side.  

From morning through mid-afternoon, Carla serves marinated and grilled steak, chicken, and pork and beef ribs, usually as part of a platter with rice, beans, pico de gallo, and escaviche (onions, carrots, and jalapenos pickling in vinegar) if you wish. To the top of what feels like a two-pound stack of food, she adds a very thick tortilla (also grilled). 
My first trip amounted to spotting the truck, smelling the food, slamming on the brakes and parking on Gerwig Lane, waiting for a gap in the heavy industrial traffic.  I ordered one steak and one chicken platter w/fat tortillla, rice, beans, pico de gallo, and escaviche.  Both were excellent.  Other customers walked up and ordered ribs only.  I was too dumbfounded by what I found to think about taking pictures, so I went back the next day to do that.  
By the way, Carla is looking to make a flier to advertise her business, so if any HowChow readers have this particular skill, please call Carla at 301-503-0391.  She is a great cook.  I would like to see her stay a while.
Rob has found Pupuseria Las Delicias #2 on Gerwig Lane adjacent to British-American Auto Care.  From Snowden River Parkway, you turn south on Berger Road at the light near Starbucks.  Then you turn left on Gerwig Lane.  Carla has parked on the right-hand side.

If you would like to see all of Rob's photos, check out his Picasa page.

If you like Mexican trucks, you should definitely tour down U.S. 1 from Rte 100 to Laurel Main Street.  I posted last month about tacos places along U.S. 1, and I have written about other trucks including another one call Las Delicias and Pupeseria Lorenita's.  At times, I dream of conducting the comprehensive tour.

Pupuseria Las Delicias #2
parking on Gerwig Lane near the intersection with Berger Road
Columbia, MD 21046
301-503-0391

NEAR: The truck has been parking on Gerwig Lane right near the intersection with Berger Road.  From Snowden River Parkway, turn south on Berger Road.  That is a light near Starbucks and Three Brothers Italian Restaurant.  South is away from the Starbucks.  Turn left on Gerwig Lane.

9 comments:

P90 Noir said...

Looks like I'll need to leave the office for lunch one day this week...

Anonymous said...

I work near there, so stopped for lunch today. The truck and grill were there, but not open for business. No one in the truck and grill was cold. Went to Bon Fresco instead. Always good, but not roadside grilled meat.

Marcia said...

Hm. I remember a few years ago the Wash. Post did a food story about one of those pupusa (sp?) trucks that parks on the side of the road at night in some places. They were raving about one in particular. It turned out the woman making the food was an illegal alien and got busted the next night. Hope that isn't the case here...

Rob said...

I am always careful to ask before taking photos. I told Carla the purpose for the pictures. She even asked me to help her create a flyer for her food truck. I also hope this does not cause her any grief, but I suspect she would not have allowed the pictures if that were the case.

AlPal3 said...

I've trying to figure out how to get you some of the details about this place for a year now. I work right around the corner so I go hear frequently and I think Rob is a little light on the box weight of the platter. It feels like five pounds to me. The food is delicious although I haven't had the chicken I can attest to everything else. I've never been able to finish off a whole platter so I always take some home. Everything is definitely home made. The only thing I'm not wild about is the tortilla. It's a little thick and tough for me. I prefer a soft tortilla. Give it a try. She's super sweet and makes great food.

L. Yao said...

I live near Berger Rd, so I gave it a try last week and love the food! I love the smoky ribs and all the four sides. The price is good for that big amount of food. The lady was very happy I went there because I saw your blog about her truck. I tried her chicken yesterday. It's delicious for a person who likes dark meats. The lady said sometimes she is off on Mondays, so her truck will probably be closed on Labor Day.

Logan said...

I just visited her today and it was one of the most enjoyable lunches I've had in a while. Thumbs way up for the pork ribs and the delightfully smoky jalapeno that came with the platter!

Leeann said...

Mr Howchow- can you tell me if the truck that's on Rte 1 in Elkridge will be open tomorrow (Friday) for lunch or is she open only on Saturday and Sunday? I have an injured friend I am taking lunch to tomorrow and I thought it would be a nice treat. Thanks!

HowChowBlog said...

@Leeann -- I don't know the trucvk schedules. I think there is a truck on U.S. 1 on the east side across from the flea market that is open weekdays for lunch. But you should also think about R&R in the Shell station at U.S. 1 at Rte 175. Great Mexican! Great scene to take a friend.