Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Guacamole Takeout At Root's Market

The avocado forest on the side of my house was proof that Root's Market makes its guacamole by hand.

The Clarksville market generally displays plastic containers of bright green guacamole in the prepared food sections.  They were tasting it Saturday, and we got swept up in the fun.

I know that it's made in the store because I have carried Root's vegetable trash to my compost heap.  Once, I got bags of avocado skins and pits.  The remnants clearly showed they were making guacamole, and those remnants sprouted into a late-season grove of shiny avocado plants.  Too bad they can't survive a Maryland winter.

You'll need to go to Root's since you can't grow your own.  There is salt and a little tomato.  But the dip is mostly thick avocado, left just chunky enough and worth $5-6 for a half-pound container.  You'd spend almost that much on enough avocados to fill a bowl, and you can eat Root's dip tonight -- a big point because supermarket avocados are always a few days from being ripe.  Honestly, it would make dinner with some chips or wrapped into soft tacos.  Don't you deserve an easy night?

If you have leftover, cover the guacamole in plastic wrap.  The top layer changes color, but the guacamole that we bought Saturday was still fresh for dinner Monday.  Click here for all the posts about Roots in Clarksville.

4 comments:

Run a Game said...

Their guac is the best.

Deb said...

This is the best guacamole you will find anywhere. I buy some every time I go to Roots.

RDAdoc said...

It is delicious!! We had it with chips/salsa & gazpacho for a tasty & quick dinner.

Meredith said...

My office recently moved from Clarksville to Maple Lawn. BOY, do I miss being across from Roots! Guac and chips was often one my "treat" lunches!