Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Link: The Sun Loves Kloby's Ribs

Kloby's Smokehouse on Johns Hopkin Road gets a rave from John Houser III in the Sun today.  Houser loves the barbecue, including the pork and beef ribs that I have talked up before.  He also discovered an off-menu item that I need to try:
Also new are some items you wouldn't find unless you flipped through a little sandwich board in the middle of the table (when we visited, the new menus weren't in). Be sure to look for the corn fritter bites ($5.99). Quick to come out of the kitchen, like all of the items that night, these morsels were harbingers of the great meal to come. Crusty and salty on the outside collided with sweet and gooey on the inside to create a fantastic fritter. The mayonnaise-based white barbecue sauce that came with it added a creamy tartness which fit the fritters.
Click for all my posts about Kloby's.  I'm overlooking Houser's major error because it really isn't his fault. That's not Laurel.  The post office may slap the name on the Applied Physics Lab, but that stretch of Johns Hopkins west of Rte 29 is misleading.  It's Columbia or Fulton or Upper Scaggsville, as folks have noted before.

6 comments:

stephanie said...

the koby's corn fritters are awesome - dont confuse them with the hush puppies which are good but not as good as the fritters - my family likes all the food at klobys but i have yet to be somewhere with the whole pig roast - that sounds like we need to find a reason to celebrate

K8teebug said...

Their wings are some of the best I've ever had. We were just there on Tuesday!

Fritterista said...

The corn fritters aren't new, I've been ordering them for over a year now, but they are delicious. Unfortunately (or I guess fortunately), they leave me taking a lot more of my actual meal home.

Anonymous said...

Comment whining about Kloby's coverage on HowChow coming in 3 ... 2...

Brandon Miller - Milhouse44 said...

The flip menu has been in use for a good bit now. My family has been big fans of the Homemade potato chips for at least 6-8 months. I know this because we would go there after evening school programs for Ice Cream, Chips and 'drinks'. Steve is doing a good job with the food, but the beer prices are starting to hurt a bit.

@Anon-August 11, 2011 1:52 PM
That gave me a good chuckle.

biketraveller22 said...

Went to the new Kloby's last week. Yum! And the beers are great. We loved the ribs and the corn bread. That night the 1/2 chicken was a bit dry. We were there at 5pm so I thought maybe that was a "lunch chicken" and might give it another try.

It looked like on the weeknights this might be a good "hang out" place. I think HoCo needs more pub type places where you can keep ordering beer without having to keep eating food. Our server made up feel welcome and didn't rush us as long as we were ordering beers.

The Sun review claimed "ample parking". That made me chuckle. On a Friday night head straight to the Daycare and the JHU/APL parking lot. The strip lot is simply crazy.