|Cupcakes from Kupcakes & Co.|
RDAdoc continues her run with quick reports on Cacao Lane in Ellicott City and Kupcakes & Co. in Elkridge. She ended up with black bean tacos at Cacao Lane after she found her first choice closed on Mondays. Good fresh ingredients with beans, Monterey jack, salsa, avocado and sliced red cabbage. She thought the cabbage was a nice touch.
After that, RDAdoc bought cupcakes for a party, and she talked up Kupcakes & Co., which sells a bunch of sweets on top of cake. She even compared them to Georgetown Cupcakes, which is pretty esteemed here in the HowChow house:
The assortment of flavors are great from simple chocolate and vanilla to more interesting and sophisticated flavors that are similar to Georgetown cupcakes including salted caramel, root beer float and key lime. A daily calendar of flavors is posted on line. They even offer gluten free cupcakes which I heard from a friend are great. They are served with an excessive amount of frosting but I just took some of it off.
|Cronut from Weiss|
CrunchDaddy seconded Jeff about Lima's Chicken, a new Peruvian place near Fort Meade. It is just east of Howard County on Rte 175.
I went to Odenton tonight for my weekly fix at Grace Garden... and they're closed on Sundays! Yikes! What to do? Everything happens for a reason... so where am I gonna eat now? Oh yeah, that chicken place up the road!
I got a half-chicken and two sides... perfectly fried plantains... and almost went with the black beans when I saw that they make a Peruvian fried rice, so I went with that... Yummo!! It's nearly Asian in taste, with egg, onions and diced chicken... but well done.Adam even emailed me about a local spotting of cronuts. They were a New York city fad a while ago. now, they're available at Weis. "Really good, even if I have nothing to compare them too. Worth the what, 600 or 700 calories, I guesss?"
|Tacos at Cacao Lane|
- Ken Oh, Cheryl and others offered their favorite items at Johnny's Bistro on Main Street in Ellicott City.
- Steve Fine, Heather and others made similar types of recommendations about places to visit in Sykesville, including a pub Becks that does smoked brisket, pork, cocktails and more.
- Anonymous wrote a long report about dinner at the new White Oak Tavern in Ellicott City. Simialrly, Dale53151 wrote a long report about the opening of the new Wild Cajun also in Ellicott City.
- Anonymous said that the Waffee shop in Ellicott City seemed closed a few weeks ago. Anyone know the current report? While we're at it, does anyone know about Frisco Grille moving or opening a second location? Vic commented about a Frisco Grille opening in Gambrills.
- Omars reports that the taqueria inside Tere's Latin Market in Ellicott City still puts out great food -- even after those folks expanded next door with a full-sized restaurant.
- Eric reports that the IHOP opened on Rte 175 in the East Columbia Marketplace at U.S. 1.
- Pseto, MarylandMcKeenas and others traded ideas for pho just outside the county. I'm making notes to try those once it gets cold.
- sl100 and vinita had different experiences at Bean & Burgandy Bread.
- In contrast both Omars and Anonymous loved the crepes at the new Cafe Mezcla in the Hickory Ridge village center in Columbia. While you're there, Omars also loves the Meadows Custard next door.
- Anonymous reported that the Maiwand Kabob near Target in Columbia now serves a lunch buffet. Has anyone eat there?
- David answered Adam's question about by-the-slice pizza by recommending two joints in Columbia village centers.
- SC and two Anoymouses answered Trip Klaus' question comparing Shin Chon and Honey Pig. I'm a Shin Chon regular, but I should check out Honey Pig too.
- Kattrina and Trip Klaus seconded my thoughts on the chicharron at Lily's Mexican Market.
I've been there twice for lunch and I liked it. Not everything works but with a huge variety of dishes there's enough to like. It mostly Korean inspired food split between hot and cold dishes with sushi in between. The candied bacon wrapped rice cake was unique to me.
The sushi is colorful, plentiful and fresh. Certainly not up to the quality of the stand alone sushi joints but it's acceptable. The jalapeño topped spicy roll is worth trying just for the super heat level. We now have easily accessible Korean buffet food in columbia.
Korshi Buffet in Columbia. Good Sushi good food! desser yam in caramel sauce. HT @marksiegal @HowChowBlog #HoCoFood pic.twitter.com/mjFO8Myk1a
— dozycat (@dozycat) July 5, 2014