Sunday, January 10, 2010

Link: Ceviche at Mango's Grill on Mixed Stew Blog

The Mixed Stew blog takes you off-menu to recommend fish and seafood ceviche at Mango's Grill restaurant in Laurel -- a mom-and-pop joint that I have put on my to-do list.

Mango's Grill is on U.S. 1 near Rte 198.  There are a mess of restaurants around there, and I never know which ones are worth a visit.  The Mixed Stew blog gives a big vote for this Mexican/Salvadoran place.   There are a few reviews on Yelp, but I'll go just to taste the ceviche that the Mixed Stew highlights:
The dish is a blend of white fish, shrimp and baby squid (tentacles and all) drenched in a delightful, light marinade of citrus, cilantro and onions. It is served with wedges of lime or lemon to squeeze over the dish and wake up the flavors on the table. With a side order of flour tortillas, the ceviche can be eaten as an entree, even though it is on the appetizer portion of the menu.
Thanks to C.B. for sending me the link to The Mixed Stew.  I'm not sure if the authors George and Nelly are local or live in the middle of Pacific.  There are more reviews of Guam than Laurel!

4 comments:

KAL said...

Laurel is divided into two camps: The Mangos Grill folks and the Tampico folks. Tampico (I'm a fan) is at Rt 1 and Laurel Main Street. Recommend you try both -- Tampico's carnitas and fish tacos are especially great.

Anonymous said...

Apples and oranges. Tex-Mex and not-so-much Tex.

chris said...

KAL - I'm a big fan of Tampico (fajitas and queso). I haven't checked out Mangos yet, but it's on my list.

SkyWriter said...

About four years ago, I alternated between Tampico and Mango's Grill. Tampico is Tex-Mex and the food is good. Mango's is Salvadoran, mostly, with some items [such as tacos] that are more along the Tex-Mex line. The Salvadoran dishes, such as the seafood, are excellent. The Salmon a la parilla is to die for! The fish is cooked just right and topped with a mango salsa. It's served alongside a mixed greens salad with a light, slightly sweet dressing. Three years ago, I became a regular at Mango's and no longer go to Tampico. My husband and I have gotten to know the two owners and wait staff. They are delightful people. Not long after I started asking if they could make chili rellanoes, they put them onto the menu. Everything we've tried there has been topnotch; never been disappointed by anything. Good Margarittas, too.