Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tomatoes and Bon Fresco's Baguette

The summer's tomato crop has started to come in, and you should pair your bounty with the summer's great new Howard County restaurant.

Bon Fresco Sandwich Bakery opened this season, and you can go there for imaginative sandwiches and an increasing number of salads and other side dishes. The Bon Fresco folks are getting rave reviews in the comments. Many people report about Bon Fresco's managers are trying new products, offering tastes of new breads, and otherwise establishing themselves as a casual treasure on Oakland Park Road.

But you can just stop for a simple baguette. Two dollars, and you're out the door. I brought mine home and sliced the long way. On one side, I piled slices of farm stand tomato. On other, I spread goat cheese and some pepper. I pressed together my sandwich, and it was perfectly delicious. After three sandwiches, I only stopped because my stomach ached.

If you are looking for other options, check out my post about bakeries in Howard County or about the Pepperjack Deli in Laurel, which also serves good sandwiches.

Bon Fresco Sandwich Bakery
6945 Oakland Mills Road
Columbia, MD 21045
410-290-3434

NEAR: Bon Fresco is in the shopping center on Oakland Mills Road at Snowden River Parkway. The center with Race Pace bike shop and a Ledo Pizza overlooks Snowden, but you need to turn onto Oakland Mills at the intersection and turn right into the shopping center. Bon Fresco is in the out-building just to the right of the entrance.

1 comment:

Innovate Your Way out said...

Made my third visit to the shop and remain impressed and also concerned. The sandwiches are as described excellent and very fresh and George appears to be very interested in his patrons. All three visits however were during lunch time and traffic was iffy at best.

I hope the word gets out and his traffic goes up - the tucked away location and reliance on word of mouth may be challenging in this economic climate and I really want to be able to enjoy my Venice sandwich for many years to come. (Although I can do without the current included side offerings).