Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mini Sweet Peppers At Wegmans: My Secret Healthy Treat (And Then There Are Sliders)

Mini Sweet Peppers
One of my great Wegmans finds has been bags of tiny sweet peppers -- three-inch-long treats in the form of yellow, red and orange peppers.

They're tiny.  They're delicious.  They're useful in a thousand ways.  I cut them into omelets last night.  I sliced them to dip in hummus.  I have just through a handful in a bag as part of packing a last-minute lunch.

And that's one bag.  You pay $6 for a two-pound bag, but that's fine when they're so sweet and where they last weeks in my fridge.  They become convenience food.  Eggs, feta cheese, an onion, and the peppers were dinner on a night when I thought that I had no food in the house.  One dinner that I didn't expect makes them worth grabbing every time.

Sliders on Wegmans rolls
To me, this is one of the great innovations of Wegmans.  The produce is so good that we just eat more.  It's easy.  It's versatile.  It's really unique because the small peppers are so beautiful, even just sliced and seeded.  They're definitely worth checking out.

And, if you're looking small, get more of those Wegmans' rolls.  I started with the pretzel rolls.  Now, we keep four to six frozen at any time.  Grab ground chuck from Laurel Meat Market (or even ask for the firecracker mix), and you can make great wintertime sliders.  Grill or just use a cast iron pan.  Either way, the plain rolls are sized perfectly for little burgers.

5 comments:

laura said...

Have you tried roasting them? It's so easy...toss them in olive oil, sprinkle them with Kosher salt and roast them in a 425 degree oven for 15 or 20 minutes until they start to brown. You don't need to stem or seed them because the stems make handy picker uppers and the seeds are delicious! They're the perfect finger-food and are great the next day in salads. I love 'em!

Mike Sapp said...

Have you tried the Kummelweck rolls? It's a kaiser type roll that is glazed with an egg-white wash and kosher salt and caraway seeds. They are a local specialty of the Buffalo area that Wegman's carries down here. In Buffalo they are typically served with a hot dipped roast beef sandwich. Awesome!

Marcia said...

I love those little peppers, too. I have them with my lunch and a bit of greek yogurt dip. What a tasty way to get in some veggies!

Penny said...

We try to eat light during the week, and it's hard to find healthy, fast options sometimes (that we aren't already sick of).

The other day I noticed fresh veggie burgers in the section where they chop vegetables to order. I'm not a fan for the super-fried processed veggie burgers in the freezer case, but these fresh veggie patties as a cheap weekday meal? Yum.

Julie said...

Just thought I'd let you know I checked out the new Lotte and got the Honey Pig dumplings, yum. Also found these same bags of pepper for only $2.99 there!