|Whole snappers at Costco from Min E.|
Or remember that Min E. emailed a photo of whole snappers and an update to my post about unusual food: chicken hearts seasoned with salt and pepper paired with Korean rice wine at Rainpia in Ellicott City.
Even as I tried to summarize what I've learned, the Howard County scene continues to improve. The Family Market in Columbia feels like a game changer to me. The Wegmans will clearly have a huge impact on the local food scene, but the new supermarket in Long Reach brings produce, Asian and Latin products that you couldn't get south of Rte 40 before.
Anne, Allan and others added their comments to the original post. Min E. always offer great advice about what to buy. The fact that she came away impressed confirms that this could reduce my runs to Catonsville. I have shopped twice at Family Market, and I have several posts in mind -- Korean snacks, Argentine chorizo, and more.
Beyond those, people keep adding their ideas -- and asking questions:
- Hambleton Smith provided a quick recipe for fish stock -- a great idea although Today's Catch still offers an option in their freezer.
- Nick wants to know about giant pizzas. Does anyone in Howard County sell a truly over-sized pizza?
- Cindy wants to know what happened to the plans for The Friendly's Inn. She says they had planned to re-open on Rte 144. Anyone know what's happening there?
- Just in time for warm weather, Julie recommends Meadow's Custard in Columbia.
- Todd liked the wings and barbecue at Kloby's, but would like a few bargains on the beers.
- Twenty-nine people chimed in about finding cheesesteaks in Howard County. Philly's Best, Waterloo Pizza, and Simmies got votes. This is the starting point for my next "search."
- Evan talked up the egg and bacon sandwich at Thomas Waffles in Clarksville.
- Brent The Brewer recommends Blob's Park in Jessup and Troys Farm Liquors in Elkridge.
- Jules posted that talk at Facci was that they're opening another location on Rte 40.
- Anonymous talked up the upcoming holiday cookies at Touche Touchet -- just as good as V-Day.
- Another Anonymous didn't like Noodles Corner. Thought the dishes were bland. But Perrik voted up the wonton noodle soup.
- MK says I actually hadn't photographed the right spot for the new Maiwand Kabob coming near the Targeton Rte 175. The comment says they're opening next door with a slightly different concept -- more like a Nordstrom Cafe.
- Sweeth Tooth talked up Linda's Bakery -- cupcakes and macarons.
- Lisa wants the Anna's Coffee Roastery to upgrade the wraps and the coffee.
- Ken Oh says the tacos at Tere's Latin Market in Ellicott City beat out even R&R Taqueria. He also loves Johnny's in downtown Ellicott City -- another spot that I need to check out.
- MarkM says Kolache Korner does authentic kolache in Ellicott City.
- J and others are still trying to figure out what's happening at Chick 'N Pollo -- and missing the Thai-influenced burrito.