Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Lotte Opening New Catonsville Store Friday

The new giant Lotte on Rte 40 should open this Friday, and I'm pretty excited for the new option just a quick run east of Howard County.

The Lotte at Rte 29 in Ellicott City will stay open, but the new Lotte replaced an entire Toys R' Us so it's bigger and was slated to have even more international goods, last that I had heard.  It sounded like the new store would be more like H Mart, where the goods from Mexican to Thai, Pakistani to Chinese.  Of course, they have a heavy concentration of Korean items.

I'm looking to cook from Andrea Nguyen's Asian Dumplings, so this is particularly good timing for me.  I have posted about Asian markets in the past.  If you go, explore the produce, the fish section, and some basics -- like Japanese noodles, the frozen dumplings, or the Korean snack foods.

4 comments:

anita b. said...

Ohhh I have been eyeing this place for a few weeks now on my way back from Pho Saigon. I can't wait to check it out! I like how their sign is colorful compared to the old one.

Have you heard about the new change in management for Pho Saigon? It's now called Pho Real but their sign hasn't officially changed.
(It's the hole in the wall joint behind Double T off 40 near that new Lotte. ) Their grilled pork with rice is off the chain!!
My fiance tried the Bun Bo Hue and raved about it. I'll have to try their other dishes soon.

perrik said...

"Have you heard about the new change in management for Pho Saigon? It's now called Pho Real but their sign hasn't officially changed."

Can you ask the folks there if it's the same management as Pho Real in northern Silver Spring? I live nearby and it's my go-to place even though I tend to dine out in Howard County otherwise. Nice folks, great broth, generous portions, rotten parking...

HowChow said...

@Perrik -- It's new management, but unconnected to the Pho Real in Silver Spring. I'll post more later.

Steve said...

Back to the new Lotte Plaza in Catonsville..........clean, wide aisles, fresher looking produce.
Avoid their faux bay scallops though! Punched out rounds of skate or something awful and gelatinous.