Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saving The Bees In Howard County

Does anyone understand why anyone would want to eliminate bee-keeping in Howard County?

Check out the Don't Squeeze The Bees folks who are organizing to protect beekeepers worried about new county zoning rules.  Basically, the county has officially started treating bee hives as "animal shelters" so you need the setbacks designed for cows.  That's not going to work in the suburbs.

Where are the "small government" bloggers on this -- huh, Wordbones?  I don't see this as anything but ridiculous.  Beekeeping is a little too much effort for me, but it seems fun and brilliantly positive for a neighborhood that needs pollinators for flowers and fruit trees.  Bee hives are even allowed in New York City.

Don't Squeeze The Bees is trying to get support for a zoning change that would let people keep bees.  They want you to write your county council member.  You can also buy bumper stickers and volunteer.

They came first for the beekeepers, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a beekeeper.  Then they came for me and my compost pile, and there was no one left to speak up . . . . 

No comments: