Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Halal "Rice Crispies" At Columbia Halal Meat

The rice crispy treat is a holy dessert in the HowChow family. Mrs. HowChow doesn't like cake, so we cut a giant rice and marshmallow treat in the midst of our wedding reception.

Columbia Halal Meat in Elkridge specializes in, well, halal meat, but they have a pretty good rice crispy treat for sale at the cash register under the brand Halal Crispy Treats -- 59 cents each, two for a dollar.

Most pre-packaged treats are failures, either too sweet or a soft texture that misses the original. Mrs. HowChow loved Starbucks' version, but someone messed with that recipe about a year ago. In our taste test, we split on the Halal Crispy Treat. I thought it was good -- noticeably less sweet than the official supermarket Rice Crispie Treats and a definite snack options. Mrs. HowChow wants her told Starbucks treat back. She thought the Halal Crispy Treat still had a chemical taste common to prepackaged versions. (They're all still better than the Cheerios and Tang bars that my healthy mother served in decades past.)

If you're looking for more-traditional baked goods, check out my post about the best bakeries in Howard County.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend the rice crispy treats at Noodles and Co. Of course, that's the only thing that I recommend there.

Katie said...

Cheerios and Tang bars?? Nothing beats homemade Rice Krispies Treats.

betsy said...

My son loves the crispy bars at the Borders cafe, and they're huge.

John said...

I've never heard of a halal rice crispy treat before. Hey, why not? As far as pre-packaged crispy treats go I'll have to look for it next time I'm in Elkridge, if it is better than the standard ones everyone's familiar with.