Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Coal Fire Pizza Reviewed By The WPost

Coal Fire Pizza got a positive review in today's Washington Post Food section. Writer Martha Thomas liked the signature sauce, and she noted that Coal Fire is making mozzarella in-house daily.

I'm a Coal Fire fan, although people should both peruse the mixed feedback from people who love or hate the crisp coal-oven crust and read the PizzaBlogger's observation that the pizza quality depends on who cooks your pie. I wrote last month about the difficulty of creating consistently great dishes.

I'm doubly impressed that Coal Fire's pizza survived a drive back to Thomas' home. Based on the WPost's abandonment of Howard County, I assume she drove a long way. Long ago, Columbia was so important that the WPost sent interns to cover the regular staff's vacation. (I drove three-hours roundtrip from Virginia for two weeks, and they were too cheap to cover even a penny of mileage.) But I gave up on the WPost covering anything around here. Last time I checked, the Going Out Guide editors hadn't found a single restaurant to recommend in Howard County -- except for Great Sage that they think is in "nothern Montgomery County."

Thanks to emkenton for alterting me to the review. Although the Going Out Guide ignores us, the WPost Food section has, if anything, improved even as newspapers suffer. I read it religiously until the WPost removed its machines from the Laurel MARC station.

If you want to comment about Coal Fire Pizza, please do it on the original post with all the other comments.

8 comments:

BeerGuy said...

I like coal fire, didn't knock my socks off but it was tasty and novel. I was more bothered by the setting, the place looks clean, almost too clean, could use some wear-and-tear and the tiny tables in the middle of the dining area sort of make you feel like you're the show for the tables on the perimeter, feels like you're being watched while eating, heh.

EastCoastMatt said...

coal fire can be great when they cook the pizza right. of the handful of times I've gone, half of them have been great. the other half, the crust just isn't cooked right. this has been over the past year.

It's hit or miss, and unfortunately, it misses too often to justify a trek from the city.

Brendela said...

It is interesting that you call out the WPost for ignoring the HoCo. I've been thinking the same thing, and not just the Post either. I feel like we live in the forgotten zone, and not the wealthiest county in the state. We're completely ignored most of the time by some of the local media (I'm looking at you Baltimore Magazine). It is only thanks to blogs like yours that we can find out what's going on in our communities and the best places to find something tasty for dinner. Thanks for the work you do.

Trip Klaus said...

Keep an eye out for a Tom Siemesta review of Bistro Blanc soon. His first time back in HoCo since blasting Victoria's. I agree with Brendela that Baltimore Magazine needs to increase its HoCo coverage.

HowChow said...

@Trip Klaus -- Any other details on the WPost review of Bistro Blanc? I'm pleased to hear that the WPost even cares about us. Any timing? Did someone spot him there?

BeerGuy said...

Agree on Baltimore Magazine. They did a halfway decent job noticing HoCo in their best restaurants list but completely whiffed when doing best bars.

Trip Klaus said...

Apparently, TS has visited a couple of times and has had several telephone interviews. Unfortunately,it may be part of a group review rather than just personal to Bistro Blanc. Either way it is expected any week now.

Unknown said...

Hi! I was so excited about the opportunity of Bistro Blanc being reviewed by Washington Post, that I failed to ask if it was a part of group review or WPost Magazine review. I was told that Washington Post will be publishing a review of Bistro Blanc on Dec 13th. I do agree that it was long due, but at the same time am glad that they (WPost & Baltimore Mag.) are reviewing as we are getting our newly hired service staff up to speed. I also received a phone call from Baltimore Magazine last week too. Will keep your blog updated as things progress.