Friday, September 25, 2009

Max Blob's Park in Jessup

'Tis the season for German food, so you should celebrate Oktoberfest at Max Blob's Park in Jessup.

The Blob's Park music hall is an institution just east of the BW Parkway south of Rte 175. Polka music, good German beer and German food like sausages, sauerkraut, and schnitzel. It actually closed at the end of 2008, but then re-opened when the re-development of the property fell apart.

I haven't actually been myself. We're sausage fans, and Mrs. HowChow has happily gone out for many blog-related meals that she didn't expect to love. But she drew the line at polka, and I'm not going to push it soon even though I know she'd go if I asked. (I have my eyes on a Korean-inspired sandwich that I want to try first.)

You should go try the beer, the dancing and the food. They're celebrating Oktoberfest for six weekends! So I'm collecting some reviews from Capital Spice, Owen Brown News, and the Food and Wine Blog. For special events, there are often detailed updates on Max's beer offerings on the Beer in Baltimore blog. There was even a polka article in the City Paper. This is a piece of the Capital Spice review:

The beer on hand at Blob’s Park is an outstanding representation of traditional German styles, including labels you aren’t likely to find outside of a import-beer focused restaurant like Birreria or Granville Moore’s. IMG_9050The food is definitely German and very bier hall flavored. Ever since the reopening, most dinners are served all-you-can-eat buffet style, with ample white sausages, sauerkraut, white potatoes, schnitzel, and steamed vegetables to be had for the taking. If you call ahead to reserve a table, which we do recommend for nights with more popular bands, you will be assigned a helpful no-fuss waitress to make sure your beer pitchers are full and empty plates are cleared.

If you’ve never been to Blob’s Park, or never seen the jubilant wonder that is live polka, this is the perfect time of year to start. Oktoberfest is upon us and every Saturday night from September 19 to the end of October, Blob’s Park features special uberrad Oktoberfest events, and all with a cover of $15 or less.

(Update: Definitely check out the comments below. K8teebug says make a reservation for Oktoberfest and other folks describe their visits in the past. You might want to try a Saturday night when the place is packed.)

Max Blob’s Park
8024 Max Blobs Park Rd
Jessup, MD 20794

NEAR: Take Rte 175 east and cross over the BW Parkway. Then turn right at the flashing light on Max Blob's Park Road.

10 comments:

K8teebug said...

You definitely have to make a reservation for Oktoberfest there.

Work in progress said...

I went on a Sunday night. They had a live polka band, but it was kind of dead so I feel like I missed out on the real fun of the place. There was a creepiness factor that I couldn't put my finger on, but I really think it had to do with how empty it was there. Also the entrance fee was a bit of an annoyance, but the wurst was pretty good.

John G. Boyle said...

Go there on a Saturday and you'll have a great time. But to be in that big hall when it's not pretty full... yeah that might feel a little creepy.

Kim said...

Buffet style!! That has got to be a huge improvement.

See, the last time I went to Blob's Park, years ago now, before they closed and reopened, I had the worst dining experience of my life. At least in the top ten. 3.5 hours between ordering and food arrival.

So being that that evening was seared into my memory forever, I wasn't planning on going back, reopening or not.

But if I can walk up and get my own food, that is totally different! :)

Greg B said...

I just returned from Germany, at a 4 day celebration in a small town called Herbornseelbach. I cant wait to get back to Blob's park to reminisce!

K8teebug said...

Also, this is not in Howard County, but the Polish Home Club in Baltimore has awesome polka music every Saturday night from 6:30-10. No food is served, but they do have a bar with cheap drinks. It's super fun there.

Examorata said...

I'm interested in hearing how they deal with reservations and how the waitstaff is now that they've closed and re-opened. Kim's comment above? One of the worst experiences ever? Yes, that was for my birthday, and I swore never to go back. Hearing they're now buffet-style does pique my curiosity...but probably not enough. At this point I think I'd head to Binkert's first and just make my own feast.

chris said...

Hubby and I went for Oktoberfest and were greatly disappointed. We paid almost $80 to be crammed in a table with a bunch of groups and to eat bland buffet food. I'm not too eager to return.

Anonymous said...

I've been there for a an event last summer. Despite being very hungry, we would only eat around 1/4 of the pathetically undersized portions, it was just plain disgusting food. I'm German, and I know what German food tastes like. Throw on top a super long wait and a fairly disoriented staff.

Steve said...

Absolutly horrible experience. When I was there we were ignored by the wait staff and I gave up on eating after nearly two hours waiting for our food to come out. We affive when they weren't busy too. This place should be avoided unless you like being mistreated.