Wednesday, July 5, 2017

The Web Says Bon Chon Chicken Will Open Next To The Columbia Mall; Who Knows The Plans?

Bon Chon fried chicken -- with the udon soup
Bon Chon Chicken has two websites describing a new location in Columbia, and I want to know where that chicken is going to land.

Bon Chon is a Korean chain that does superb fried chicken -- along with other really good Korean dishes.  The Ellicott City location is a HowChow favorite.  Lil' Chow loves chicken tenders, and he slurps down the udon noodle soup.  I have loved the bi bim bap -- the bottom rice crisped by a super-hot bowl -- on nights when I want something lighter.

But I go for the chicken.  Crunchy crust around juicy meat.  At first, I was obsessed with the wings.  But Lil' Chow has brought me around to chicken strips.  (Plus, there were a few meals where I ordered both wings and strips and then ate way too much because it was just me and a toddler.)

I split my orders between the two flavors -- a soy-garlic and a spicy.  Spicy has real heat.  Delicious, but I limit myself to maybe three spicy and seven soy-garlic.  Once before Lil' Chow spoke, I inadvertently let him touch a spicy wing.  Finger ended up in mouth.  Tears poured down his face.  I cringed and figured that everyone was staring, but really people were probably just engaged with their chicken and beer.

So is that all coming to Columbia?  It makes sense because they've opened a mess of other locations.

Mark Siegel tweeted me about a "coming soon" Columbia location.  Bon Chon's website does have a page that says "Columbia, MD -- Coming Soon."   Plus, someone created a Facebook page in February for a Bon Chon Columbia with a real Bon Chon phone number and an address of 10000 Town Center Avenue.  That's one of the new apartment buildings across from the Columbia Mall.  I think it already has Mod Pizza and other restaurants on the first floor.  Maybe in the building next door?

Who knows the details?

I absolutely recommend the Bon Chon in Ellicott City.  It's just off Rte 40 west of 29.  I'm not worry about addresses anymore because people can find them on-line so easily.  Bon Chon is basically behind Jason's Liquors.  You turn south onto Plumtree Drive, then make an immediate left into a parking lot that serves Bon Chon, Chef Paulino, and a Zumba studio.  That's where I taught Lil' Chow that two guys can't stand at the glass window of a Zumba studio and stare inside.  "Move along!"

6 comments:

Kriste said...

I have been to both the Ellicott City location and the one that SLOWLY opened near Arundle Mills. Yum!! I have heard that a chain BiBiBop is replacing ShopHouse in some locations. Has that spot opened in Columbia Mall yet? What is there? http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/2017/Korean-Fast-Casual-Chain-Bibibop-To-Take-Over-ShopHouse-Locations/

Anonymous said...

Definitely looking forward to a Columbia location. You can never have too many BonChon options! Although, considering how long it took for them to open the Arundel Mills location I'm not going to hold my breath on the Columbia location opening anytime in the near future.

Bluelilmunkie said...

Is it still byob at the 40 location? It's been a while since I've been there

Unknown said...

Hello thank you all for brining Bonchon To topic
please email Columbia.MD.Bonchon@Gmail.com
For more details. Bonchon and Kung fu tea will be opening right infront of the mall under Parecel C Developemnt

Botanical Wonders said...

“Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks"
bulk dried fruit

Charles Mann said...

This is a great post thanks for writing it.