Thursday, May 7, 2015

Can You Buy Coffee And Quiet On A Weeknight?

Where can someone buy coffee and quiet on a weeknight?

Maria sent me an email weeks ago asking for suggestions about where folks might hang out on a weeknight -- open past eight, quiet enough to talk, maybe a coffee shop or diner.  Says Maria:
So a mom friend and I are looking for a good coffee spot that is open a little later during the week and wouldn't mind if we hung out for an hour or two. You know open past 8 and quiet. A diner would work also. Any ideas? Bonus points if it is close to King's Contrivance neighborhood. Mommies need time to catch up with their friends too.
For Columbia, I'm trying to think of a restaurant.  Most coffee shops here are breakfast and lunch joints.  The closest diners are probably on Rte 40. 

Hickory Ridge Grill was my first choice.  They're only open until 9 pm, but that's a friendly spot with coffee and room enough that they probably wouldn't mind you lingering over dessert or appetizers.  One of my "lost posts" from the past six months was a breakfast at Hickory Ridge where we got good eggs and a friendly vibe like Maria wants.

From there, I started to think about bars.  Not a packed joint like Looney's or the Green Turtle.  But an adult bar where a bartender might have enough empty stools to welcome coffee drinkers who tip. Ranazul and the Grille at Maple Lawn are both an easy drive south from King's Contrivance.  Their kitchens are open late.  They have bars that I can't imagine are packed on a weeknight.

Can anyone else recommend a local spot to get coffee and chat on a weeknight?  I was trying to think of Columbia restaurants that would welcome Maria.

12 comments:

Jim S. said...

Not sure about their coffee since I am not a coffee drinking, but wouldn't the bar in the restaurant section of Corner Stable fit the quiet bar with open stools? I think most of the noisy people would be in the separate bar section. I'm not sure since I am never there that late. But it is REAL close to Kings Contrivance since it is in the Village Center.

Anonymous said...

Off this topic but Dear HowChow, do you have any information/insight on Joe Squared Pizza in Ellicott City (I heard a rumor it's not coming) and Mutiny?

Examorata said...

If you don't mind being out a bit later (after 8 or 9), honestly, the La Madeleine is not a bad choice. I've gone there for coffee/dessert with a friend or two before and it's usually pretty quiet (or you can find a corner that is).

Anonymous said...

If you're willing to think outside the box, go to Barnes and Noble in Long Gate Center. It's open late - until 10 on weeknights and until 11 on weekends. It's quiet. There's a very nice coffee shop and you can browse books while you're at it.

Kat said...

Mad City Coffee is open until 9pm, I think.

Victoria's Gastro Pub wouldn't be a bad place to hang out over coffee, either, especially if you're away from the bar area.

dzoey said...

Pure Wine Cafe in Ellicott City is open 'till 11. If you don't feel like alcohol they have coffee / espresso as well an outdoor seating on nice nights.

Katie said...

Many of the Korean bakeries on route 40 stay open pretty late. I recently went in Caffe Bene to take a look around and it was a really cool, large space, perfect for coffee and hanging out!

duanestclair said...

I would second La Madeleine. Open to 10 pm, good coffee, great pastries and desserts, no one rushes you out and the best part is that the patio outside is nice with our warmer weather.

EastCoastMatt said...

Rudy's off of 175.
also, if just coffee, any starbucks or mcdonalds has coffee and are open late.

Min said...

Snow cafe is my go-to place. Coffee, desserts, and snow ice. (I still haven't finished the write up on the spot.)

Happy Mother's Day to Mrs. HowChow and all the Mom Readers of HowChow!
-Min

Jenny said...

Another vote for the Korean bakeries. We've been trying them all lately. Tous Le Jours would be my vote for late night as it is more spacious and quiet and even has a couple of spaces that look good for study groups. Caffe Bene is good too, or Shilla. The exception is the one by Lotte, which closes at 9.

joy314 said...

La Madeleine is the perfect spot for what you're seeking. I think we could use more places like this...quiet, cozy, open late, not a bar. I've been looking, too.