Monday, April 21, 2014

The $2 Gourmet: Bucatini From DeCecco At Wegmans Or "What I Learned At Italian Shabbat"

DeCecco Bucatini
I love a bargain, but a cheap indulgence can be just as rewarding.

Our friends try to promote a Friday night tradition that they call "Italian Shabbat."  That's a Friday night with friends and Italian food.  They put on terrific food, and I stole the easy part:  a thick, long pasta called bucatini.

That's thicker than spaghetti, but just as easy to make.  It's actually a long hollow tube.  Terrific with the meat sauce that our friends (let's call them "The Cordis Couple") served.  Terrific with all kind of pasta sauces that I have tried since I started buying bucatini in Wegmans in Columbia.

DeCecco's bucatini is a few dollars a box.  That's more than almost every other brand of pasta.  But the noodles themselves are delicious, and there is something fun in splurging on a luxurious shape.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

As a Italian I use bucatini a ton, especially with carbonara, I find it to be perfect.

But in all honesty, I prefer Wegmans Italian brand to the DeCecco, and its cheaper!

HowChow said...

@Anon -- There is a Wegmans brand? That's hilarious. I never thought to look.

@Demetrious -- Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for Misko Macaroni.

Anonymous said...

We have, on occasion, found bucatini at Trader Joes.

Anonymous said...

Not the Wegmans brand in the red box but the "fancier" ones in the green and tan boxes.