Friday, August 28, 2009

Yogiberry Opened At Columbia Mall

Yogiberry has apparently opened at the Columbia Mall!

On two trips this week, we couldn't even find where the store will go. So I posted this morning that Yogiberry hadn't opened. Of course, Yogiberry opened.

At lunch time, people started posting comments like "I'm at the mall. It's opening!" Check out the play-by-play below. Paul provides an instant review. It sounds like Yogiberry is a stand in the middle of mall near J.C. Penney. Thanks for the updates! (Click here for more thoughts and a photo of the Yogiberry.)

Yogiberry joins the Five Guys, which is slinging burgers in the Columbia Mall's food court. And Wendy wrote about the new Ruby Thai Kitchen in the food court next to Auntie Anne's Pretzel's:
Had the eggplant tofu, the Bang, Bang Shrimp and the Pad Thai noodles. The shrimp lived up to its name (bang, bang or hot, hot). You can order 3, 2, or 1 entree(s) with rice or noodles for varying prices. My friend ordered the mango chicken, which she wanted after tasting the free sample (they will let you taste a dish if you ask). Choose the Pad Thai noodles if you like spicy, the fried rice if you don't. They have many chicken dishes, a couple beef dishes, the tofu dish previously mentioned, some veggie choices, the shrimp dish I already mentioned, and some cheese wontons and other appetizers. The eggplant tofu cannot be found at any of the other food court restaurants, and never having seen or tasted it before, I had to try it. The tofu didn't disappoint or thrill, but my curiousity was satisfied.

10 comments:

Katie said...

Before I went to the mall last week, I Googled Yogiberry Columbia. They have their own phone number for this location so I called. I got a recording that said their second date for opening has been postponed due to unforeseen circumstances.

I went to the mall and didn't see any signs of where Yogiberry was going to be located either, hmm...

Paul! said...

I tried Ruby Thai yesterday, and was fairly disappointed. I was hoping for a quick, decent Thai place, but it felt and tasted like just another toned-down fast food joint in the food court. I tried the Pad Thai (which was good), the eggplant & tofu (ok, but could have been spicier), and the curry chicken (fairly bland).

I was hoping that it would have been more like the excellent Mayuree Thai Food Express in Springfield Mall in northern VA. It's located in the mall food court like Ruby Thai, but their food is outstanding!! I routinely used to go there for a quick Thai fix, and it never disappointed. Great flavor and kick to all of the dishes I ever had there. If anyone happens to be passing through, I would recommend the stop (but during the day, as the mall has gone downhill in recent years).

-Paul

kat said...

I was at the mall last night and there was a Yogiberry stand (in the central area near, um, maybe the JC Penney's? We were heading from the Sears to the Le Gourmet Chef) that said it would be opening today. It was hung with posters advertising smoothies and green tea shave ice and such.

Anonymous said...

Yes I think it's opening today!

Anonymous said...

I'm at the mall right now, looks like there setting the stand up! Still not open though. It's right near the childrens play area.

Paul! said...

Just opened! On line now.

Paul! said...

I think I spoke too soon - both yogurt machines are down! They said too come back in about 20 minutes. I'll post back in a bit.

Paul! said...

Ok, they got one machine up and running! They currently have original (plain) and berry flavors. The others will be green tea and chocolate.

Why it took this long to actually open up in the first place is a bit of a mystery to me. It's a small stand close to the entrance to JC Penny's on the bottom floor, right next to the staircase. It looks like that the entire place could be set up in an afternoon!

Anyhow, this was the first time that I had this particular style of frozen yogurt. It's different than TCBY and other frozen yogurt that I've had in the past. While TCBY & others seem to try to mimic the taste of ice cream, you can definitely tell you're having frozen yogurt at Yogiberry. It has a very, well, 'yogurt-y' taste to it. And that's a good thing! I ended up having the berry flavor (with Cap'n Crunch on top! :-D ) Very good and refreshing.

I'll likely be back this evening with the wife to hopefully sample the green tea flavor.

HowChow said...

Paul -- Try the mochi when you go back. We love the mochi on the frozen yogurt. It's a mild taste. I don't know how really describe it. Like an adult gummy bear. Thanks for the play-by-play.

Milton Friendly said...

Tried Yogiberry today, berry yogurt with chocolate chips. Yogurt was pretty good, chocolate chips tasted like little bits of wax. I'd avoid those, I couldn't even get them to melt.