|Waterloo Pizza's cheesesteak is calling furloughed workers|
Congress has left thousands of people out of work for the past week. The House has been polite enough to say that they will pay the people who are pawns in the political game, so folks should breath a little more easily this week.
What food fun could you have if you're sitting around Howard County?
Lee Biars sent me an amusing offer. Diamondback Tavern and Portalli's will give 25% off an entire party's check to anyone with a state or federal government ID. They're running the special Monday to Thursday this week. Does anyone know similar offers aimed at government folks?
If I were home this week, I could imagine looking for some special lunches. I could do chores and errands, getting myself out at mid-day to enjoy some places far away from where I normally spend the weekdays. Five ideas:
- Monday, start sandwich. I talked up the corned beef at the New York Deli in Columbia, and folks added suggestions on the Facebook page for Abby's Gourmet, Clyde's, Lakewide Deli and Leelyn's. The Leelyn's sandwich ushers in fall with turkey, brie, cranberry, etc.
- Tuesday, go big. You have the time. Consider all-you-can-eat Indian buffets available at several local restaurants -- including Royal Taj, Mango Grove, or House of India in Columbia.
- Wednesday, take some friends on a drive. You must know other folks who have been furloughed. Get people to meet at Grace Garden in Odenton for amazing Chinese food. Fill the table from the "authentic" menu, and you'll have a terrific time. Note that they're closed Oct. 7, reopening after a week of vacation on Oct. 8
- Thursday, fill up while you're doing errands. Going to the mall? Check out the cheesesteak at Waterlook Pizza in a Columbia Exxon. Lowes on Rte 175? Get some oysters for home at Frank's Seafood across I-95 in Jessup. Errands on Rte 40? Dim sum at Asian Court.
- Friday, early happy hour. Meet folks for good beers and food along the Columbia beer corridor that runs along Snowden and Dobbin from Victoria Gastro Pub past Ale House Columbia, Pub Dog, and Frisco's Tap Room. I want to try Frisco's again because I haven't done justice to their food, although I have to admit that I'd be called by the burger at Victoria Gastro Pub.