Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Has Ceazar International Market & Restaurant Closed in Elkridge? A Lost Institution

Has anyone else been past Ceazar International Market in Elkridge?  Lisa left a comment on an old post saying that the market and restaurant are closed, and the spaces were being cleared out.

Ceazar Market was the king of Middle Eastern markets when it opened its expanded space in Elkridge in 2009.  For 13 years before, they had operated in Columbia off Oakland Park Boulevard under the name Sizar's Food Mart.  The new store had a butcher, more space, and the attached restaurant.


If the closing is true, then I'm sorry for the people who had created an institution and obviously invested in the move and expansion.  Sizar's was one of my early discoveries -- one of the places that I walked inside because I was inspired to find new items for the blog.

The good news is that Howard County has other options for if you're looking for halal items or just items from the region that runs from Greece through Pakistan.

I can think of four options that all sell a variety of products, although each with an emphasis -- Check out Caspian Market in Ellicott City (with a butcher, Persian emphasis?), Nazar Market in Columbia (with a butcher, Turkish emphasis, in the old Sizar's space in Columbia),  Pars Market in Columbia (Persian emphasis), and Columbia Halal Meat in Elkridge (with a butcher, Pakistani emphasis).

4 comments:

fretless said...

I drove along Oakland Mills Road on Friday, and it looked to me like the old Sizars is open again.

HowChow said...

@Fretless -- You saw a Sizar's sign at the original location at Oakland Mills and Snowden? A Turkish market named Nazar opened in that space last year, so I would be surprised to hear that they sold to Sizar's. I recommend Nazar Market highly!

Anonymous said...

I tried calling on Sunday for a carry out order and no one answered the phone. I wondered if something had happened. If they're closed, I'm bummed. I really liked their kabobs and got takeout from there almost every week.

Artemis Cooks said...

I think they are closed; I got an email from Restaurants.com to transfer my certificate to Ceazar to another choice...