Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Eggspectation: Breakfast (and more) in Ellicott City

I'm a simple man at a restaurant breakfast - two eggs over medium, hash browns, bacon, coffee and could I please have the Tabasco sauce?

That's ironic because Eggspectation on Rte 108 near Snowden River Pkwy is the best place that I have found, and it trumpets its enormous menu. Omelets. Eggs Benedict. Pancakes. Waffles. You can even get eggs on a bagel instead of the traditional English muffin. I keep coming for crisp bacon, good coffee, and eggs and hash browns that I didn't have to cook myself.

This is the spot to take houseguests. A neighborhood place where you can relax over breakfast and no one hassles you when people linger over a second cup of coffee. (Of course, that means there can be a 10-20 minute wait at the rush hour.) It is also an all-day joint. Quite good burgers at lunch and dinner. A bar that often seems happily full of people eating at the bar or watching sports on TV. I would have recommended the burgers more before the Victoria Gastropub opened across the street, but the breakfast still can't be beat. The perfect place to take visiting in-laws.

It was the closest restaurant when we lived in Ellicott City. I'd love any other breakfast suggestions down in Columbia.

(Update: In October 2008, the burgers had gone downhill. I still recommend it for breakfast, but the burgers weren't the thick, flavorful patties that I remember from earlier.)

(Update: In May 2009, Greg on the Food & Wine Blog posted about breakfast all day at Eggspectation -- including the Chesapeake crepe.

Check out Victoria Gastro Pub across Rte 108 from Eggspectation. If you're at Eggspectation, you're also just a few blocks from great Thai at Bangkok Delight or the Chinese at Jesse Wong's Asean Bistro.

Eggspectation
6010 University Boulevard
Ellicott City, MD
410-750-3115
http://www.eggspectations.com/

NEAR: Rte 108 just east of Snowden River Parkway. It's super-convenient off Rte 175. Take the Snowden River exit and then turn left on Rte 108.

HocoLoco Girl on "breakfast" -- a listing of breakfast joints

HocoLoco Girl on "Sunday brunch" -- a listing of Sunday brunch places


Eggspectation on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

JNU3 said...

Donna's across the street has a great brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. Unfortunately, they don't start serving it until 11:00 am and that's usually too late for me!

Anonymous said...

Went to Eggspectation on Sunday, July 9, 2012 for breakfast. I really couldn't believe how expensive it was! Had the Benedict over waffles (yummy option!). The poached eggs were over cooked, not poached. Everything was pretty boring. Dusenberg's in Catonsville is much more worth the price. Our bill was $44 for two people at Eggspectation. I was embarassed as I'd recommended it as a place to try! I know how to poach eggs. We should have stayed home. Since Dusenberg's is closed on Sundays...:) This joint kinda reminds me of a Cheese Cake Factory - giant menu of bland, similar tasting but overpriced options....